Proposed plans for residential development by cricket club

Rod Evans
👍

Sun 2 Nov 2014, 21:02 (last edited on Sun 2 Nov 2014, 21:18)

If I can throw in another pennyworth, in no way do I question the value of the proposed facility to those it's intended to help and would welcome it warmly if in the right place. I'm acutely conscious of being a 'new kid in town' but (and you knew one was coming!) I'm still left with a lot of questions over the choice of location.

First, is this really the tranquil spot the charity thinks it is? The field is surrounded on 3 sides by a main line railway, the only approach road to the station and a large and busy sports ground (bonfire night anyone?) - not to mention the weekend bikers.

Second, 12 x 1 or 2 bedroom flats, to be run as a residential institution providing care, extensive communal facilities, catering and social activities. So what staffing, servicing and maintenance requirements would all that entail? Stuart tells us that friends and families would be very important to the care process. That's entirely as you'd expect - and means they'd be visiting often, as probably would health and other professionals. None of that is a criticism! But no-one can be forced to use public transport and visitors would be coming from many different places. So just how realistic is the charity's assurance that they are "not anticipating high levels of traffic"?

Third, full plans are still to come but they will need to build an access road of some kind, presumably wide, secure and well lit, across both the cricket ground and an area of land in the highest Flood Risk Zone. Charlburians don't need me to tell them about the Evenlode's propensity to flood! There are many potential issues here but for now, again, just how realistic are they being about it, not to mention the cost?

Fourth, if one third of the District is in the AONB, then two thirds isn't. And even if the figures were the other way around, does that lessen the importance to be attached to it?

Fifth, the boundary of the Conservation Area on this side of the town is drawn along the railway line. That I imagine was deliberate in order to preserve the open approach and setting to the town, the physical edge of it being defined by the river. Apart from the station and cricket club facilities, the land between railway and river is predominantly open and undeveloped. This bit of it is a field. As it is below the cricket ground. So would building up a road across it and this complex on it 'preserve or enhance' its 'character or appearance'?

Sixth, every planning decision has to be based on the merits of the case. But once that line of the river is breached… So, for example, if (as we're told) the need for this kind of accommodation is increasing, how long would it be before another application comes in to enlarge it? Or for other housing beyond it? Every local community has development needs. But should this county-wide facility be built in a Conservation Area in this part of the Evenlode valley?

And seventh, we can all understand how a charity (especially one not long established - 2009) may find it hard to compete against commercial developers. But is the solution to that to seek partnerships and/or additional sources of funding? Rather than trying to get around planning restrictions intended for everyone's benefit in a location recognised in a WODC assessment as "outstanding" and of "such quality and sensitivity" as this?

So at the risk of repetition (but I hope with no deviation or hesitation) - you might think that. I of course could not possibly comment.

Oh go on then - I don't know Caroline but for me, she has it spot on - and far more succinctly!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.