Speeding and driving (Debate)

chris emsden
👍

Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:45

I drive a 4x4, makes no difference, a bad driver is a bad driver whether they are in a Land Rover or a Mini! I have 2 Land Rovers, & drive 1000s of miles every week as a Lorry Driver in a Dangerous Goods Tanker, if you'd seen some of the things I've seen in 30 yrs of Lorry driving it would blow your mind, & yes I have seen some bad lorry driving as well. My company (as well as driving the tankers I run the depot too) is 100% safety mad, no speeding/safety awareness courses etc all the time, but its good & we have a excellent safety/accident record! My observation on here concerns the Woodstock Rd between 5-ways & The Marlborough Pub, I go to work around about 5 am each morning so obviously there is very little traffic about, but I go about 40 mph (never above 50) as I do not wish to collide with the many wildlife that criss-cross the road in the wee-small-hrs, 2 reasons, I am an animal lover & I don't want my Landy written off! When I come home later this road changes, I have never noticed the signs at either 5-ways or The Marlboro' that say 'High speed race track between 16-00 & 20-00 hrs but they must be there because these rules clearly apply', I have people tearing past me at all kinds of speeds, wet/dry/light/dark/clear or poor visibility! Now most of you must be going home to your loved ones at the end of a hard day, by your driving I gather you are keen to see them, well you keep driving the way you are & you may never see them again! Do you think if a fox/badger/Deer (or 6) come out onto the road in front of you at 60-70 mph that you are going to either stop or avoid them & then carry on your merry way? I got 1 thing to say to you, 'DREAM ON', you wouldn't have a prayer my friends! If you are really lucky you will end up on your roof in the middle of a field having flipped over half a dozen times, with a written off car & multiple injuries, or you might hit a tree head on & know nothing about it, or if you hit a deer you may take its legs away & it will slide up the bonnet & through your windscreen & you can have a brief chat with Rudolph, & this my friends will take a matter of seconds to happen!!! This may sound dramatic but it happens, & I'm sure you would rather be there to see your children grow up. Remember, it is better to arrive 10 mins late, than to arrive "DEAD" on time!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.