Whining noise

Kat Patrick
👍

Fri 2 Sep 2011, 21:24 (last edited on Fri 2 Sep 2011, 21:28)

(A bit long ... sorry) So this is what I know. People have been hearing a similar noise like this in various pockets around the world -- Bristol in the 70s, and now there's quite a lot of investigation of a hum in Co. Durham. Just Google "the hum" and you'll get the Telegraph's articles as recent as this summer. If you watch this video www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/71041/Mysterious_Auckland_Hum/
you will see that it plagued Austrlians and Kiwis a few years ago -- you will also hear in this video a very good rendition of what it sounds like from a scientist who has recreated the sound for those who normally can't hear it, or who haven't worked out that it's not just someone's washing machine on its spin cycle in the distance. As for recording equipment, I've already had a go with that through the council, but I think they set the Hz too high on it, so didn't pick up the sound, which has been detected at a very low 18 Hz (if indeed the other man at the council was picking up "the hum" on a different machine). What time does it happen? Honestly, it's there all the time, if your environment is quiet enough -- though sometimes, it's louder than others (usually 3 am, Charlotte!). I have kept a diary of it for the council, and it was basically whenever I got quiet and just listened: 11 am, 10 pm, 1 am, etc. Where does it happen? I've heard it at Ditchley Road, Lees Close, Marlborough Close, and even Kiddington. I did NOT hear it in Texas, thank God! One possible thought is that we're hearing the very low frequencies used for nuclear submarine broadcasts, since they can travel halfway around the world, and need to be at very low frequencies to do so. Others are pretty certain it's connected to the electricity that's being zapped through our power lines, since this was increased in the 70s and corresponds with the first "hum" identified in Bristol. Whatever the reason, I can't stand an attitude that says I just have to learn to live with it. SOMETHING is buzzing, and nobody knows what. That's just spooky. (Meanwhile, I have to sleep with a humidifier and my MP3 player, to drown out the noise -- ear plugs don't stop it, since low frequencies aren't directional and aren't stopped by the usual barriers). Keep up the chat, everybody. We have to get together so there's some weight to our complaints.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.