St Mary's Chimes

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 30 Jul 2009, 21:50

Of course some people might pay to have them NOT chime the quarters. Insomniacs unite!

John Munro
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2009, 18:37

Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps if you could give some sort of indication of cost, this might encourage people to donate.

Anna Fairhurst
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2009, 18:02

That's exactly it, I'm afraid. We've asked the PCC (church council) to fund it, and Mike Summers is going to sort it out, but he had to wait for formal approval as it is going to be quite a lot. We're going to do an extra collection in church to help us meet the cost. If anybody else would like to make a contribution, it would be very gratefully received - envelopes through the vicarage door please!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2009, 16:56

Mike or Anna can answer this much better than I can, but I believe the mechanism has been causing problems for a good while, has finally given up the ghost, and will cost a fair bit of money to repair.

Personally I'm a little anxious that it's fixed sooner rather than later - you can imagine someone moving in down the road and then saying "oh, I didn't realise the bells actually rang...".

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 29 Jul 2009, 15:36

Another victim of the recession perhaps?

John Munro
👍

Tue 28 Jul 2009, 18:58

Probably been asked and answered many times already, but what happened to the quarter chimes? Haven't heard them for months and months....

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.