Cornbury Festival 2009

Dave Oates
👍

Mon 20 Jul 2009, 00:23

Compared to similar festivals, Cornbury is great value and still one of the most family-friendly and chilled festivals in the country

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 17 Jul 2009, 21:51

Hmmm... Well, they didn't advertise the fact that under 16s were free very well. When I looked at tickets online, for one day it was £55 for an adult and £27.50 for a child over age 5. I know a lot of local people managed to get reduced rate tickets and there was a limited offer at some point for free child tickets but doing a quick search what I quoted seems to be the 'official' price, e.g:

www.visitnorthoxfordshire.com/site/events/cornbury-festival-p450631

I think it is a great thing to have down the road but it is a lot of money for a family day out. Regarding the funfair, perhaps it is easier with an older (i.e. more sensible!) child. With younger children they are constantly pestering for to go on some expensive ride and consequently show no interest in the music!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 17 Jul 2009, 12:16

I think ticket prices are about average (£45/day), but admitedly we only went because Chippy school gave musical Yr6 pupils free weekend tickets for 1 child and 1 adult and we got a set. Under 16s were free until about a week before the festival I think though, so you'd do well to check periodically next year. My daughter was very keen on the funfair, far more than the fairylove tent :-)

russell robson
👍

Fri 17 Jul 2009, 11:48

U16 were free.

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 17 Jul 2009, 10:17

I made some ginger cakes. I did not ice them so may not have been the one you had (but they could have been iced by the tea tent people). This recipe is really easy unlike some other ginger cake recipes. It is the second one called 'David Herbert's ginger cake':

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/nov/23/foodanddrink.shopping

Anyone think Cornbury is a bit pricey? Family of four is well over 150 pounds for a day and then you have to spend loads more on that dreadful funfair. Make under 16s free and get rid of the funfair and you would have a great family event. I appreciate festivals are expensive to put on (and take a lot of effort) but we decided not to go this year as it didn't seem good value. If the kids had been free...

Chris Bates
👍

Tue 14 Jul 2009, 10:05

Can I echo this - you ran a tight ship on that stage, David. I don't think there were any serious over-runs.

And serious congratulations to the cake cooks - those cakes in the tea-tent were scrumptious....especially that iced ginger cake! Can whoever baked it please post the recipe?!!

Dave Oates
👍

Mon 13 Jul 2009, 20:33

A big thank you to Hugh Phillimore for putting on another great festival (which wasn't even spoiled by the rain on Saturday!). We had a great time doing the Riverside Stage again and Charlbury is extremely fortunate to have such a great event on our doorstep. It was also great to see so many people from the town there, many of which were enjoying the frestival for the first time

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.