Classics / Hot Rods / Motorcycles / Engineering enthusiasts

Charlie M
👍 1

Thu 27 Oct 2022, 20:27

Peter - your post reminded me of the two Terrys - Terry Drury and Terry Sanger - both of whom used to race Mk. 1 Ford Cortinas with V8 engines in (I think) the British Saloon Car Championship in the late 1960's. If perchance you had a hand in either of those creations, respect to you! They made a fabulous noise!

The Thruxton Easter Monday Saloon Car race was my favourite motor race of any kind, enhanced also by the Ford Galaxy driven by Frank Gardner which sounded like a Spitfire on heat! I have some cine film of one of those meetings ... I can't remember what is on it and which year, only that it was the year that Jochen Rindt won the Formula Two race ... I should get it transferred to DVD.

Glorious and happy days!

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍 1

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 20:21

Is the RME the one with the twin cam engine? I've always thought that a lovely looking engine. Would look amazing in a lightweight special.

Peter Astbury
👍 3

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 15:50

i have a 1949 rma and a 1954 rme yours sound interesting we used to put v8s in to anglias and mk 1 cortinas many years ago 

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍 1

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 14:48

Hello Peter - thanks for your reply. Which Rileys do you have?

I've 1962 Rover P4 which I'm part way through fitting a 1985 Bentley Mulsanne Turbo V8 engine into. I've done the majority of the heavy work now, and am onto plumbing it, and wiring next. The idea being to create a very British Hot Rod. There is a good bit of body work to be done, as the roof need replacing following a roll over... which is what got me started. I do hope to have it road worthy again in 2023.

Peter Astbury
👍 2

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 14:39

hi Simon  i have two classic rileys so i would be interested i have a collection of mechanics tools that i could help people with what project do you have on the go 

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍 2

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 13:30

In the past few weeks I've bumped into a number of people interested in old cars, engineering, motorbikes and so on around the exciting streets of Charlbury. 

It seems there isn't a regular gathering of like minded individuals and I wondered if anyone might be interested in forming some sort of "club" so we could meet up, chat, help each other out, discuss ideas, and possibly go to local events together. Even something simple like an outing to Combe Mill to see the old Beam Engine could be fun.

There are quite a few lovely old cars and motorbikes in and around Charlbury, and I've recently heard that there are several people with engineering skills and machinery (lathes, welders, winches etc) which they would be willing to share. 

If anyone is interested in perhaps getting together over a pint/brew of some sort, maybe once a month, please get in touch via here.

I'd always be glad of company while working on my own project, and would be happy to pass on skills to others and encourage,  particularly younger enthusiasts to get involved.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.