Jeremy Clarkson told to shut his farm’s restaurant and cafe

Heather Williams
👍 8

Sun 9 Oct 2022, 15:13

I don't disagree with his restaurant, but planning is planning, and no one is exempt and shouldn't be. He needs to follow the procedures, to see if he can get planning and not just hope he gets in retrospectively, which, I am afraid, a lot do!

christopher edeson
👍 9

Sun 9 Oct 2022, 14:57

Love him or hate him, all those people hans is Moaning about are bringing their money in to our area, they spend in local pubs shops and accommodations not just coming to the farm and going home again. Some people need to find a new hobby instead of moaning about everything on here 

Liz Puttick
👍 8

Sat 8 Oct 2022, 16:41

It's like building a bridge between Russia and Crimea - without planning permission, it has to come down;)

Hans Eriksson
👍 6

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 15:38

He doesn't need the income from the restaurant and the farmshop, he just does it for fun and to be admired by his fans - egoboost. And to annoy the district council. And it would probably be better for the farm if it was run by a professional... With higher income.  Yes, there are a few people working there and that is good. But they will probably be better paid at say Aldi or Lidl. What I find abhorrent is all the people coming from all over the country with lots of unnecessary local traffic to buy tat he sourced in China. 

Rod Evans
👍 3

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 14:51 (last edited on Fri 7 Oct 2022, 15:00)

Matt, it depends what they do.  There is  (or was, I'm way past my 'best before' date!) some favourable planning guidance on agricultural diversification but opening a restaurant well outside any settlement in an AONB isn't exactly top of the list - and in this instance Gareth & Rosemary hit the nail...

Rosemary Bennett
👍 10

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 13:47

Real farming is hard enough, I agree. JC is not a farmer though. He’s another wealthy capitalist, playing at it.

Matt Bullock
👍 7

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 13:06

So many things are done without or against planning consent, we just rarely hear. But because this is Jeremy Clarkson it's all over the newspapers. True, he shouldn't do it and neither should anyone else, but I guess the council's response would be different were this any other non-celebrity farmer trying to maximise the potential of his or her land.

Gareth Epps
👍 9

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 12:54

Mandy - he broke the law.

He didn’t have planning permission for the “restaurant” but opened them anyway.

This is all a stunt for his TV programme.  The next time someone breaks a rule and it impacts you, remember that they’re doing exactly what Clarkson is doing.

Mandy cooper
👍 7

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 12:49

Why about time.? he’s only trying to do what everyone else is and make money from his farm. As if farming isn’t hard enough. It’s not just him that will suffer all the people that work there will lose there jobs. He does a lot for chadlington and the people in it. He pops in to the local village shops around the area. It’s hard enough for people to make ends meet at the moment. Why don’t the council get on with real problems and stop trying to punish a person who has done more for farming. And is willing to learn and do the work his self. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 4

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 11:54

About time.

Charlie M
👍 4

Thu 6 Oct 2022, 20:17

Oh what fun! 

To quote another publication, Private Eye ...

"This one will run and run"!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 2

Thu 6 Oct 2022, 16:35 (last edited on Thu 6 Oct 2022, 16:38)

From Eth Grauniad*: Jeremy Clarkson told to shut his farm’s restaurant and cafe

[* anyone old enough to remember the old newspapers notorious typos? Worst on Fleet Street!]

West Oxfordshire council says setup at Diddly Squat farm is ‘visually intrusive and harmful’

Kevin Rawlinson

Jeremy Clarkson has been ordered to…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.