Increasing number of airbnb's and second homes

Rod Evans
👍

Mon 30 Oct 2023, 12:46 (last edited on Mon 30 Oct 2023, 18:06)

I've just seen a planning appeal report where an Inspector found that:

“The character of the use as a short-term holiday let is materially different from use as a dwelling house. The new use therefore amounts to development as there has been a material change in the use of the property,”

It appears in this case to have been largely on the basis of high turnover and noisy parties!  I don't keep up closely with the law etc these days but if this is applied widely it could give local authorities much greater scope to enforce against such changes.  The issue always is when does the change become 'material'?  A few weeks a year as an airbnb probably wouldn't be where a full change to holiday letting could be.

What I forgot to say earlier is that if you think a dwelling is being used as a holiday let and shouldn't be, you could report it to WODC planning dept quoting this appeal - the ref is:  APP/E2734/C/22/3305930.

Michael Flanagan
👍 6

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 19:26

"People in Charlbury who do not have off street parking would I am sure welcome a parking permit scheme."

Patronising twaddle. 

I think I'm right in saying that most people (just) in Charlbury don't have off street parking: something that virtually no-one has in the historic, densely-populated, areas of Park…

Long post - click to read full text

Janet Burroughs
👍 2

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 16:52

David 

My post gave information about the new system in Woodstock where residents can, must, now apply for parking permits. And I am aware that many residents in the centre of Charlbury would welcome this. But there is a cost and, what I have been told, the cost of permits in Woodstock is not insignificant. And, IMHO, permits for residents should be at no, or minimal cost. The parking metre charges should be used to offset. 

david cook
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 15:40

Hi Janet I do not believe resident parking permits are available in Charlbury, the excuse the council gives is there needs to be the ability to enforce. People in Charlbury who do not have off street parking would I am sure welcome a parking permit scheme.

Alice Brander
👍 2

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 11:06

As I walked home last night through gridlocked Charlbury I smiled at the myth of the persecuted motorist.  Then I noticed that all the windscreen wipers had been moved out.   I don't think they were damaged, just moved.  

Janet Burroughs
👍 3

Thu 3 Aug 2023, 19:42

David - I agree with you re the increasing challenges for motorists. You also say that free parking in West Oxfordshire is sacred. I wish that were the case. 

The parking situation has changed. WODC and OCC now share the responsibility. 

WODC remains responsible for car parks which remain free, OCC has taken over responsibility for on street parking. 

Woodstock now has parking meters on street. And, in my opinion, the ticket requirments/charges system is unnecessarily complex. 

On street parking does now include permits for residents, though from what I have heard, at a not insignificant cost. 

The car park remains free but inevitably finding a space is far more difficult and it appears that the parking issue has, as might have been predicted, simply moved to outer areas that are not as yet controlled. 

david cook
👍 13

Thu 3 Aug 2023, 10:23

Carl, free parking in West Oxfordshire is sacred, it helps to secure to prosperity of towns like Witney and Chipping Norton. The constant persecution of motorist has to stop. Charlbury parking issues are associated with some rail commuters not using the station car park, a solution need to be found which makes it economically attractive for rail users to park at the station, what action is the council taking to resolve the issue of commuter parking other than painting yellow lines in Charlbury thus making the parking situation in Charlbury worse for residents.

Carl A Perkins
👍 4

Wed 2 Aug 2023, 11:33

I asked about permit schemes a while ago when parking spaces were removed from Nine Acres but this was brushed aside by the assertion that free parking across West Oxfordshire was 'sacred' to the then Conservative led council.

There is now a new administration and something needs to change. Free parking surely doesn't help with the new 'green' agenda? The £2 capped bus fare schemes might look a little more attractive to people if parking in Witney was as expensive as Oxford.

Back to Charlbury, you know when trains aren't running as parking spaces are more common in Market Street, top of Dyers Hill and further along Thames Street.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 8

Wed 2 Aug 2023, 10:50 (last edited on Thu 3 Aug 2023, 10:47)

I’ve noticed quite a difference down here in the little old quarters of Charlbury, over recent years, and it’s a very mixed bag. Fortunately, we have acquired some lovely new neighbours in our immediate vicinity, yet again. We’ve made some wonderful friends, both recently and in earlier times.

Nearly all the people who bought here, in our time, became real ‘locals’.  People who wanted to live in Charlbury, and then eventually moved on, for various reasons. Most stayed in Charlbury or near, if they could. All of them brought neighbourliness into the area, and added so much in doing so.

Now, Charlbury has become cool, posh, and expensive, inevitably some would say, and so be it. My concern is that locals’ immediate neighbourhoods are being broken up as family homes are becoming holiday rents. I don’t need to describe that, do I. 

The whole environment changes….. and it doesn’t add anything much, economically, to Charlbury, except to the ‘landlords’ coffers. Visitors can explore Charlbury in a morning, and then go further afield to discover the ‘Cotswold Experience’ . Similar problems with second homes.

If nothing major changes around here, and I guess it will not, Charlbury will need, at least, an underground car park, otherwise the plague of  ‘parked up’ enormous shiny limousines and all the rest of it will only increase. Often, tradespeople can’t find anywhere to park their vans in order to do their  jobs. This isn’t unique to our town, is it. Woodstock has installed parking charges, with free permits for locals. Why not? I mean, if tiny, medieval St Gimigiano can build an underground car park…..? 

Claire Wilding
👍 4

Tue 1 Aug 2023, 18:35

So the Conservative MP is annoyed because some Lib Dems said they thought the Conservative Government's new legislation on second homes was quite good?  It's confusing. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Tue 1 Aug 2023, 15:36

I see Robert Courts has come out in favour of second home owners:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23691871.witney-mp-calls-support-second-homes-tax-misguided/

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 7 Nov 2022, 13:30

Hans, FT paywall... can you cut and paste the article text?

Hans Eriksson
👍 3

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 11:07

There are apparently considerable tax breaks available for owners of holiday lets - such as lower capital gains tax, full income tax relief for mortgage interest deductions and you can use profits for pension contributions. These are not available for normal buy to let owners. It may well be a way for people to earn good money when interest rates were very low, in common with tech stocks and bitcoin. Rumours have it that the the chancellor is seriously considering removing those tax breaks in the upcoming budget. That may well have an impact on this market. https://www.ft.com/content/ee826d88-d122-490e-8917-f6702c80aa67

Tim Gosling
👍 5

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 09:10

Airbnb's destroy some communities. People should bear that in mind next time they are booking a weekend away.   

Liz Reason
👍 4

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 21:51 (last edited on Sun 6 Nov 2022, 10:31)

Five airbnbs at least in Park Street alone and one house still empty and largely uncared for after five years.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 11:52

The above comments linked to the post of increase of rental prices - separate thread 

Matthew Greenfield
👍 4

Tue 18 Oct 2022, 11:17 (last edited on Tue 18 Oct 2022, 11:17)

...and like Devon too. More stories today about how Airbnbs are forcing families out of their rented homes in popular areas:

Hardship and heartbreak as Devon families lose homes to Airbnb lets
"From key workers to bar staff, parts of county increasingly off limits as landlords and investors cash in"
Chris Tatton
👍 9

Mon 10 Oct 2022, 08:34

Well let’s just hope that the recent increase in Airbnb’s in parts of central Charlbury does not increase at the same rate for much longer, otherwise there will be few family size homes left  in parts in the centre of town. Families tend to be the best users of local shops, pubs, nurseries, schools, medical services and community facilities all year round. 
Hopefully in ten years time, the community will have not been hallowed out by too many Airbnb’s like parts of the Lake District, Cornwall or Snowdonia. 

James Norris
👍 4

Mon 10 Oct 2022, 06:26

Much rather an airbnb than a 2nd home, the guests spend a significant amount in local businesses. Second home owners, some of whom come only a few times a year, are contributing little and denying somebody else the opportunity to live or visit here. The property equivalent of leaving your towel on a lounger all day.

Nikki Rycroft
👍 13

Sun 9 Oct 2022, 18:01

Maybe occasional use of holiday homes and Airbnb brings benefit to the local economy, but those of us permanently resident in Charlbury, searching for properties to buy, having been told by our landlords that our leases are not going to be renewed, bring far more benefit to the town , often through volunteering. 
And just as concerning are the number of long term unoccupied  properties, building projects started and not completed , and houses left empty to deteriorate. 

Matthew Greenfield
👍 4

Sat 8 Oct 2022, 12:45

Yes the key box thing was very unscientific but, as Chris says, there seems to be a lot of (whole) property Airbnbs in the Park Street area (e.g. Tachbrook) and also that one on Brown's Lane that has been there a while. However, the main point is not the key boxes but potential family homes in Charlbury that have become holiday lets.

The Airbnb website can be a bit deceptive as there are lots of rooms/annexes on there (which are a good thing for the town) and not everything is available on certain dates so might not come up in a search. Much better to look at this website and search for Charlbury. You will see seven very nice homes available to rent for holidays etc:

https://www.boltholeretreats.co.uk

Very interesting what is happening in Wales. Let's hope something similar happens in England one day...

Alice Brander
👍 3

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 14:45

The Welsh Govt. have agreed new tax rules for second homes and long-term empty properties to take effect from April 2023

The maximum level at which local authorities can set council tax premiums on 2nd homes and long-term empty properties is increased to 300%.

Those local authorities applying premiums can access additional funding for the supply of affordable housing.

The criteria for self-catering accommodation being liable for business rates instead of council tax to be changed from 140 days to 70 days in a 12 month period.

Something for WODC and the English Government to consider perhaps?

Rod Evans
👍

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 14:37 (last edited on Fri 7 Oct 2022, 14:39)

Just did a quick search for a 'week in Charlbury'.  5 identifiable as full dwellings, others (as in my own experience elsewhere) either guest houses, annexes, rooms, outbuildings, caravans etc.  Plenty of options in the wider area and no doubt others with agencies as holiday lets.  Maybe someone knows or can come up with a way of assessing the extent of the problem i.e. of dwellings becoming unavailable for full time occupation, but equally, holiday accommodation in an area like ours undoubtedly benefits the local economy (and part of the purpose of the AONB designation is that it's kept as such for people to enjoy, not to mention the latest 'major tourist attraction' at Chadlington!).

To add to Gareth's comments, the Welsh govt are about to introduce 2 new 'Use Classes' to address the problem via the planning system and I read recently that Oxford City Council are campaigning on the issue.  There is longstanding legislation affecting central London (i.e. pre-dating Airbnb) but as far as I know, no equivalent provisions or separate Use Classes either existing or proposed elsewhere in England.  One could of course write to the local MP.....

Chris Tatton
👍 7

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 14:00

Don’t know where you were looking John, but I came across at least 16 Airbnb’s in Charlbury, and that figure doesn’t include other holiday let’s and second homes. 

We have at least four within 50m of us in upper Park Street, with a fifth possibly on the way.

It will become increasing difficult for any young local person or family trying to buy in the community that they were brought up in, in these circumstances.

Susie Burnett
👍 3

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 11:47

We have a key safe simply as a back-up for teenagers coming home without a key ...

John Kearsey
👍 3

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 11:27

Key boxes are put on properties for reasons other than Air B&B rentals. Most are there to allow access for carers. Out of interest, I looked for properties in Charlbury on that website and found a grand total of one!

Matthew Greenfield
👍 5

Fri 7 Oct 2022, 08:40

Yes the wider housing/rental market is completely distorted and unfair and does need some kind of regulation. I can't seeing it happening anytime soon unfortunately. Those in favour of regulation will be branded part of the "anti-growth" coalition...!

Nikki Rycroft
👍 3

Thu 6 Oct 2022, 10:18

The Charlbury Society is hosting a talk on this very subject tonight....how Charlbury has changed over the decades.....starting at 8 pm, at the Memorial Hall....come along to listen and join in the discussion...£3 for tonight, or the season’s membership for £8.50

Charlie M
👍 5

Thu 6 Oct 2022, 10:10

I agree with Gareth, and I would add to that a doubling of Council Tax for such properties.

Gareth Epps
👍 12

Thu 6 Oct 2022, 07:58

A land value tax (with a zero rate threshold for a private home) is the obvious way to tackle the rentiers.

Wales and Scotland have given councils powers to tackle this problem through the planning process, but there are no such powers in England.  It is an issue coming up more and more.

Harold Laff
👍 3

Wed 5 Oct 2022, 17:35

Matthew, it is not only in Wales that long term rental tenants are being evicted to make way for even more Airbnb's and holiday lets, I know of at least two residents of Charlbury similarly evicted. 

Mark, that would partly explain the loss of parking places in central Charlbury as numerous cars arrive for each new Airbnb. I have even heard that one long term Charlbury resident was told by a recently arrived holiday let owner as to where he could and could not park his car in future.

Makes you wonder when the communities in the Lake District, Snowdonia and Cornwall become concerned about the hollowing out of their communities with holiday lets and airbnb's? Presumably when it was too late unfortunately.

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 19:05

Aware of families renting , wanting to buy and settle here in Charlbury, being gazumped to the detriment people being able to put down roots . The larger Air B and B properties attract large groups and arriving in many different cars , all needing parking , which is insufficient anyway ? With the Bell Hotel news , more accommodation available , with parking ? 

Matthew Greenfield
👍 7

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 18:22 (last edited on Fri 7 Oct 2022, 08:41)

Yes I have had the same thoughts after seeing a few houses around Charlbury with those key boxes outside. Renting out spare rooms and annexes is great for the town but whole houses becoming Airbnbs is depressing. 

I read a shocking article about families being evicted from long term rentals in Wales so landlords can do short term holidays lets instead. They (the families) were then unable to find anywhere else to rent in the same area. 

Harold Laff
👍 11

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 16:22

Anybody else becoming concerned about the increasing numbers of Airbnb's and holiday rentals in central Charlbury. Without a doubt a few are good in a tourist area like the Cotswolds. However evidence from Cornwall and the Lake District suggests that too many hollow out communities, with local young families unable to continue to living here because of excessive house prices and the loss of local facilities and shops. just wondering?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.