20mph consultation

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 09:47

Ah, thanks Richard - hadn't realised that about the Google sign-in. Hopefully anyone who comes up against it will see this discussion.  

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 09:29

Alan - please see the background document.  At this stage, the transition points are indicative and will need to be made precise for the formal proposal.

For Fawler Road, though, they are precise: the proposal is 20mph to the current 30mph terminal sign with 30 to be extended round the bends to the location of the 'Welcome to Charlbury' sign.

Alan Wilson
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 09:13

Is there a larger or clearer version of the map anywhere?  I can't really work out where some of the transition points we are being asked to agree or disagree with actually are, eg on the Fawler Road.

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 08:59

Thanks Gareth, I see now that the map shows a 30 mph zone at the top of Woodstock road. Missed that earlier. Sorry.

Gareth Epps
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 08:46

Thanks for the point about Typeform Andrew.

Hans - the proposal on Woodstock Road is to still have a 30mph zone at the top of the hill, with 20 starting around halfway down the hill where the road starts to narrow.  Feedback on how the transition will work - and there will need to be physical measures to curb the speeding here too, some of the worst in Charlbury - will be very useful.

The Forest Road 30mph extension covering Rushy Bank (approved earlier this year) and the limits on Ditchley and Enstone Roads are not affected by this proposal.

Matt Bullock
👍 3

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 08:43

I agree with Hans on the 50 to 20 transition. 20mph zones work best if there is a hierarchy of speed limits that reduce down as you move from the main routes onto the smaller roads..

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 08:21

The map is wrong in that the 30 mph limit on Spelsbury Rd will be extended to the campsite and not to Rook's Nest as indicated.

I believe there was also a consultation to extend the 30 mph limit on Forest Rd past the Rushy bank development. The already extended 30 mph limit on Enstone Rd has not been included. 

I don't think it is advisable to go from 50 mph to 20 mph without a 30 mph zone in between, as would be the case on Woodstock Rd.

Otherwise a fine initiative which I support wholeheartedly. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 08:00

I think Google’s wording is (probably intentionally) ambiguous. It says “Sign in to Google to save your progress”, but you don’t have to sign in unless you want to “save your progress” – i.e. pause the form halfway through then come back later to fill in the rest. For such a small question that’s probably not a consideration.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 07:39

Great to see this (see News) but two small technical/editorial gripes:

1. The text says 'as shown on this map' but the nearest map is to the right, showing the whole parish – 'as shown on the map below' would remove the ambiguity.
  2. More importantly, the form only works if you 'sign in to Google', which instantly means many people will not be able to submit it. Other free form-builders (eg Typeform) are available.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.