Church bells

Nick Johnson
👍 22

Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:44

I had a chat at the Farmers' Market with Mike Summers who does the Church bells and clock. As soon as he heard of the Queen's death, he rushed to toll the big bell 96 times, then a group of ringers did the hour on Friday. There is a complex schedule of rings, some muffled, some half - muffled, some unmuffled, over the course of this week's events. Meanwhile the flag went to half -mast on the Queen's death, then fully hoisted for the King's accession, back to half- mast for the period of mourning. I got lost after that.

It is extraordinary how church bells can reflect emotions  and give grandeur to events. Well done and heartfelt thanks to Mike and the ringers. Long may they continue.

Susan Terry
👍 13

Sat 10 Sep 2022, 09:41

I was very moved by the quiet, somber sound of the single tolling bell. It was good to hear Charlbury marking this significant event so appropriately. 

Rachel Mary Gallagher
👍 14

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 23:12

Thank you to the bell ringers of St Mary's church for honouring the queen with ONE HOUR of ringing, from midday today. An awesome effort!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.