Cancelling of events

Maggie Watts
👍

Sat 10 Sep 2022, 22:09 (last edited on Sat 10 Sep 2022, 22:31)

I pointed out the problem with cancellation of the street fair over a decade ago….

Charlie M
👍

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 18:27

If you are talking Vaughan Williams, then I would suggest his Folk Song Suite for Wind Band, and also the choral work "Linden Lea", his setting of William Barnes' poem. But perhaps they are too English ... I think the LNOTP is supposed to be British.

Valerie Stewart
👍 2

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 16:28

I'm really sorry that they cancelled the Last Night of the Proms.  The usual second half is very appropriate and I'm sure that many people would like to sing their hearts out to what is quintessentially 'our' music, and with a bit of nimble footwork they could have rearranged the first half - Elgar, Vaughan Williams, etc.  (I would have suggested Arthur's Passage to Avalon from Elgar's King Arthur Suite, which is a spine-tingling and very English farewell).  

Jean Adams
👍 7

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 15:06

Cancelling the Last Night of the Proms is innapropriate. We need rousing music to accompany our grief.

James Styring
👍 2

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 14:34

Tomorrow's Children's Bike Rally is going ahead as planned.

James Norris
👍 3

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 14:18

Steve, may I suggest a massive hokey cokey on the Playing Close? Old timers loved and after all, that’s what it’s all about.

Steve Jones
👍 11

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 14:13 (last edited on Fri 9 Sep 2022, 16:10)

There is no prospect of cancelling the Street Fair. There has been a huge amount of effort put in, and the livelihood of traders, fairground ride operators, musicians and others are an issue. Also, it would mean that we would lose a significant amount of money from costs incurred already. I should also add that it takes a minimum of 8 weeks to get a street closure approved under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847. That would mean it would have to be postponed until at least November, which is untenable. In essence, it would mean cancelling the 2022 Street Fair and probably refunding advertisers, donors and all sorts of things.

I should add that the Street Fair Comittee are, of course, considering in what way we might mark the passing of Queen Elizabeth.

Janet Burroughs
👍 6

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 14:10

I can confirm that the Farmers Market is going ahead as planned. We did consider whether to cancel but as it involves selling food products it falls into the essential category. 

It is purely social events where it is suggested stop and consider should it go ahead. 

Personally, I think we should consider what we would do in the event of a death within our own families and then try to show understanding and respect  for decision making by event organisers facing yet another unique situation. 

Charlie M
👍 4

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 13:31 (last edited on Fri 9 Sep 2022, 13:32)

... and Nicholas Witchell too ...

(In response to Gareth.)

Matt Bullock
👍 5

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 13:28 (last edited on Fri 9 Sep 2022, 13:34)

The Premier League, like the BBC, are paranoid about criticism about that they do - they will be criticised by one side or the other whatever decision they take. So they take an ultra-cautious approach. As the government guidance states, there is no need to cancel events. There should be no need for the BBC to show 24/7 news coverage on all of its channels.

In my opinion, the Last Night of the Proms seems a very appropriate event to commemorate the life of Her Majesty and celebrate what she has done for Country and Commonwealth.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1103626/The_demise_of_Her_Majesty_Queen_Elizabeth_II-_National_Mourning_Guidance__1_.pdf

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 12:55

I wish they’d suspend the endless stream of speeding horse boxes charging through town…

James Norris
👍 20

Fri 9 Sep 2022, 11:56

In light of yesterday’s news and the widespread cancellation of events, I hope we are sensible and don’t follow the likes of the Premier League, with regards to local events.

Tomorrow’s Farmers Market will have scores of traders who would be out of pocket at the loss of business. Similarly many people have put in a huge amount of work for next week’s Street Fair. Bells tolling and remembrance services for those who want to attend are very appropriate, of course.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.