Ancestry

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 27 Aug 2022, 09:18

This looks good:

Are you curious to know why your road is called after a distant town or a long-forgotten politician? Have you ever wondered why the church is at one end of your village rather than in the middle, or what was on the corner of your street before that ugly 1970s block of flats was built? Are you investigating your family history and would like to know more about where your ancestors lived and the community they were part of? These are all questions which the growing number of people engaged in researching the history of their local area are asking, and enjoying finding the answers to. Get over to local historian Liz Woolley's blog to find out where to start with researching the story of your area:

https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/article/top-tips-for-embarking-on-a-community-history-project?fbclid=IwAR1g-xEb_oR1mL5MtH5VD8qIv-HH73ZW-luw9-U9Yo6YFP7rnDtrBHP79fM

Brian Murray
👍 2

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 19:43

Patricia, before you go very far down the route of professional help, do have a look around at how else you might get advice and assistance. Although I’ve never used a professional, I can imagine that it is easy to be soon spending significant money as you get hooked. Some interesting new information will encourage you to spend more as you seek further exciting news about your family history. As Christine has said The Oxon Family History Society (OFHS) is nearby, with free ‘help sessions’ in many of the County’s Libraries, as well as regular meetings in Kidlington. On Saturday 1st October they are holding their Family History Fair at the Marlborough School in Woodstock, between 10.00 and 4.00 and at which there will be other visiting societies from across the country and businesses selling family history reference books and f h stationery etc. The visiting societies will be able to tell you about what help they can offer you, as a member – sometimes free research, other times at nominal cost. With an annual membership fee of £10 / £20 bringing a quarterly magazine, they are good value – particularly when you can often get free access to Ancestry or FindMyPast or a discount on your personal membership of those sites.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 12:13

If the ancestors are from Oxfordshire then Oxfordshire Family History Society should be able to help. I'm sure they could also recommend professional helpers, including for ancestors based outside Oxfordshire. They have various upcoming open days and helpdesks, including at Woodstock: https://www.ofhs.uk/news/helpdesks/advisors-helpdesks

I had to recently use ancestry.co.uk to research a historical figure and, unlike Michele and Catherine, did not find it at all easy, particularly for ancestors born in Northern Ireland and/or not members of the Anglican Church. Other members' family trees contained so many mistakes that it was easy to go seriously wrong. Also it was endlessly necessary to sign up to other sites and pay further fees to check the "facts" provided by others' family trees.

Patricia Ellis
👍

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 12:01

Thank you so much for all these useful tips.  I really want someone to do the research for me, computer work is a bit too much for me these days.

Catherine Kimmance
👍

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 09:04

I’ve been with Ancestry for many years and agree with Michele.  A friend also uses My Heritage for DNA which she recommends. It’s important to check and double check sources particularly if found through other member’s trees.   There is a woman in Chadlington who used to do family trees and advertised in the local Wychwoods magazine. Someone reading this may know her-and if I remember her name I’ll post it. 

michele marietta
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 19:30

I'm on ancestry.co.uk and it's brilliant. I've traced my ancestry back to the 1600s! Give it a go. Yes it costs, but I say it's completely worth it. Fascinating stuff.

Patricia Ellis
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 16:45

Does anyone know someone who researches ancestors please?  Gareth Williams no longer does it.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.