SIM card recommendations

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 18:09

Once again, thanks to all the contributors…. it’s much appreciated. I’ll be in touch!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 12:11 (last edited on Thu 25 Aug 2022, 12:11)

Personally I use runbox.com, but others swear by Protonmail or mailbox.org. They’re all paid-for, but arguably that’s more ethical than Google’s business model (and that really is another topic…!). You can buy your own domain name and hook it up to an email provider like this.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 11:35

Thank you, Richard. I have gmail, but absolutely hate it and really only use it for confidential emails and a few other business type things.

Work has introduced a complicated 2 factor authentication system which is very off-putting, and I will need a better alternative to BT for more personal emails. 

So please can others suggest other alternatives. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 10:34

Drifting off-topic slightly but I’d always recommend decoupling your email address from your ISP. I’m no fan of Google, but using gmail (or similar) means you can keep the same email address if/when you change ISPs. I’ve had the same email address for 23 years now despite changing ISPs several times.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 10:16

Rosemary, if you've a BT phone it might also be worth considering changing to BT for email. It's probably cheaper, even though EE and BT are basically the same company.

I'm also with EE and thinking about changing to a SIM only contract right now, and am weighing up the options. To complicate things, I am also wondering about moving from BT, but would need to pay to keep my BT email address, at least for the time being. I don't want any contract that ties me into a longterm deal. I also don't want any supplier that throttles my usage as I frequently need to watch TV on catch-up.

I've had giffgaff in the past, but only on a temporary basis. I did not love it enough to go with them a second time. I thought it was rather slower than EE, although I realise things might have changed since then.

Phone Coop is very appealing, but the recent reviews of it are offputting. Pleased to get other feedback on it, including from those who use it also for broadband. Also for the other companies mentioned here -- or not yet mentioned.

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 09:58

I wouldn't use Tesco as they have a lot of data breaches ( hackers getting your username and passwords ).

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 09:13

Mark, thanks for your time, you’ve just reminded me about this. Much appreciated. I was going round in circles with the EE website and also I finally thought it time to change as I was paying too much for my needs. I am making a note of all these options!

Mark Luntley
👍 2

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 21:43 (last edited on Wed 24 Aug 2022, 21:46)

At the risk of adding to confusion I'd just put a shout out for the Phone Coop (now part of Midcounties). They don't usually appear on the comparison sites. If you need to speak to someone you end up talking to the team in Chipping Norton.

Its not quite as cheap as Tesco mobile, but owned by members, and fairly competitive. It does run on EE, I don't know if your concerns about EE were to do with the network or the sales model. Its an ethical provider, and you aren't locked into a long contract. Anyway details at:

https://broadband.yourcoop.coop/mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim-only/

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 18:07

Thanks Ben…. 15GB! That’s a USP to check out as well!

Ben Miller
👍 1

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 16:47

Talkmobile has been great for me. Under £4 a month, rolling 30-day contract. 15GB, unlimited texts and mins. Price goes up to about £7 after three months, but could renegotiate then! 

I find this tool handy to narrow down options. Just select what you need on the left, then see what comes up.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 16:27

Hans, yes, until very recently I had a Nokia and I loved it very much. Particularly because it was bright pink and couldn’t easily get lost like a black one.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 16:25

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate your time.

My phone is out of contract now and unlocked - I had a customer ‘chat’ this morning and an operator confirmed it. I think it was a real person!

I will certainly look into giffgaff straight away, I’d not heard of it before! Thanks again folks.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 16:20

I have Tesco mobile £ 6.50  month. 500 minutes and 1 GB data. Nokia phones (yes they do exist) are sim free from new. And are very price competitive, And very good. 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 13:55

Also recommend giffgaff

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 13:08

Giffgaff seconded!

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 3

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 12:20

I would recommend giffgaff. I have a couple of sim at home that can be activated ( send a private message)  or you can order one here https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards 

It uses the O2 network.

4G works OK on my phones. Your phone will need to be network unlocked, if you bought it out right without a contract you will be fine. If the phone came with a contract which has expired you may be able to get it network unlocked by paying a one off fee.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 24 Aug 2022, 10:44

Can anyone recommend a basic Sim card that isn’t EE and doesn’t require 5G? I’d be most grateful for feedback as I’ve been down the rabbit hole of comparison - and it’s driving me insane.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.