20mph in Charlbury?

Kat Patrick
👍

Tue 8 Dec 2009, 17:00

Everyone will probably think this is a crazy idea and come up with all sorts of problems in implementation, but I would like to see a system where pedestrians have the right-of-way in Charlbury. With my small children, trying to cross the road at Enstone/Nine Acres is sometimes frightening, to say the least, and I'm sure there are others who can easily name other road-crossing danger spots. I have seen the system work in Texas, where, at a very large university, it's a lovely experience to walk across the campus and/or drive through it, looking out for each other with a smile and a wave. (Please don't get all cynical and say that British drivers can neither smile nor wave -- you don't have to do these things to drive sensibly and look out for vulnerable foot traffic).

Pippa Nash
👍

Mon 7 Dec 2009, 21:20

I noticed that I drive through Ticknell Piece at 20mph to my childminder's - not because it's a speed limit, but because it was the right speed. I think the roads where it makes good driving sense to drive slower than 30mph, we're probably already doing it. It only seems to be the main routes through the town and they have 30mph reminder lights anyway.

ken jones
👍

Sun 6 Dec 2009, 14:18

try driving most modern cars at twenty miles an hour that is second gear with your foot on the brake. dyfed pows police stake out thirty miles per hour limits between 8am and 10am and 400pm and 630pm. they make a killing on commuters in and out of aberystwith especialy bmw audi drivers and white van men.if you speed it is down to you.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 5 Dec 2009, 21:44

Sorry, but I think that TVP have bigger fish to fry elsewhere. The thin blue line is thinner than you imagine.

I support the idea of 20 mph limits in narrow streets and outside schools at start & finish times, but not crass blanket limits like the 50 mph limit on almost all the B4437. Limits need to be self-enforcing wherever possible with occasional human enforcement. Road humps do not work as they have little effect upon Chelsea tractors, but risk damaging lower slung cars.

Roger Short
👍

Mon 11 May 2009, 11:36

What we need in charlbury is a concerted effort by thames valley police with zero tolerance to speeding ,people would soon get the message .All we have at the moment is a little sign sometimes with a smiley face when you are not speeding and a frown when you are,with all due respect what good is that.

Chris Bates
👍

Mon 11 May 2009, 09:36

Hmmm - I think you'll find they use mobile speed cameras regularly up there!

Dave Sangwine
👍

Sun 10 May 2009, 09:49

My wife and I have just seen various small villages in the Lake District with 20 zones throughout. All cars seem to slow down to that speed. Having seen the 20 signs being obeyed, I believe motorists here would slow down from 30 (or above 30) to 20.

Liz Reason
👍

Mon 4 May 2009, 18:16

Yes, and interesting work being done to find ways to delineate areas in a satisfactory way for people with seeing disabilities.

Liz

Reg James
👍

Sun 3 May 2009, 00:02

Unfortunately although shared street surfaces can look attractive and can have the effect of slowing vehicular traffic, they do not suit all people. This is an interesting link www.guidedogs.org.uk/sharedstreets/
Sometimes urban planners forget about the visually impaired, disabled, elderly, childen etc.

graham W
👍

Sat 2 May 2009, 14:39

So if the roads belong to the rightfull owners, do we still have to pay the road tax!
But I agree that some areas will benefit from a 20mph speed limit.

Liz Reason
👍

Sat 2 May 2009, 11:03

Let's do some lateral thinking. Shared surfaces common in Europe change the street surface (colour and texture), removes the street furniture and line-markings which are directed at cars, and restores the street to its rightful owners - people (and with their pushchairs, bikes, etc). Cars aren't banned but they are disorientated and slow to a crawl because suddenly the streets don't belong to them.

Roger Short
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2009, 13:33

Whilst i applaud the idea of lowering the speed limit in Charlbury,how will this work when a lot of people will not stick to thirty miles per hour now ??????.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2009, 09:11

"OCC was not pursuing them outside Oxford"
Hmm!
How is it then that there are (some) 20mph zones in Woodstock?

Chris Bates
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2009, 14:18

Hmmm.....Council elections are coming up, aren't they? ASk your candidates that question....

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2009, 12:09

As you may have seen on the national news, the Department for Transport published a paper today that proposes 20mph limits in residential areas.

The full blurb is here, but this is the crucial paragraph:

"...we will amend our guidance on speed limits, recommending that highway authorities, over time, introduce 20 mph zones or limits into streets that are primarily residential in nature and which are not part of any major through route. Similarly, we will encourage local authorities to consider introducing 20 mph limits or zones in town or city streets, such as around schools, shops, markets, playgrounds and other areas where pedestrian and cyclist movements are high. "

....which surely covers most of Charlbury.

I understand that Charlbury Town Council recently raised the idea of a 20mph limit with Oxfordshire County Council but was told that OCC was not pursuing them outside Oxford. This guidance suggests that Charlbury could well become a 20mph town "after 2010" (the date of the proposed strategy). It would be better still if OCC could be encouraged to rethink and do it sooner...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.