Hummingbird hawkmoths

Jackie Hague
👍 2

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 17:17

We've had a couple in the garden this week too. 

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 16:03

Just seen a hummingbird hawkmoth on the flowering redcurrant in my garden. On April 8th -- so amazingly early. I presume it must have over-wintered, rather than being a migrant.

Interested to know who else has seen one this year.

michele marietta
👍 1

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 23:52

Yep we've had one too. They're extraordinary!

Helen Josephine Wright
👍 1

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 09:53

I found one inside & fortunately managed to put under a glass & release out again, beautiful creature.

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 12:09

Thanks so much for posting this. One flew off my washing line yesterday and I didn't know what it was until now. Very beautiful, but I've never seen a moth that big before!

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 11:11

Yes, I have had these visitors too. Lovely. Very disappointed that the Big Butterfly Count did not include them, despite the fact that some day-flying moths were listed. 

Judy Dod
👍 2

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 11:07

Over the last few days I have been regularly visited by hummingbird hawkmoths feeding on the valerian growing in my garden.  They look so exotic and are a real treat.  They have orange hind wings and distinctive black and white rear parts and their wings move so fast they are a blur - exactly like a humming bird.  And they like flying in the daytime particularly in bright sunlight.  Hope you spot some. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.