DON’T PAY U.K. MOVEMENT (Debate)

Charlie M
👍 3

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 08:57

Of course this Tory government thought it was OK to stand outside our houses and clap our nurses instead of paying them the money they so richly deserve .... maybe the same thing would work for the energy companies?

Phil Morgan
👍 2

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 16:59

Martin Lewis has also warned people that refusing to pay a legitimate bill will harm your credit score. This is particularly important for young people who may want to take a loan or apply for a mortgage. 

Once you are tagged as a 'non-payer' in the system, it can become an albatross around the neck which stays with you forever.

Steve Jones
👍 6

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 13:08

This is surely not a Charlbury specific and ought to be in Debate

NADINE MILLS
👍

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 07:18

https://dontpay.uk

Here’s a link to their website for more information. 

NADINE MILLS
👍

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 07:15

Yes Huw I’m aware of that! 

Chris Tatton
👍 3

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 09:31

We Switched from direct debit to paying monthly last winter, as our direct debits continued to go up, despite being credit. 

Valerie Stewart
👍 3

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 09:30

I'm having real difficulty with my electricity supplier - Eon Next - taking three and four times the expected sums during the time when readings were not possible.   So I haven't been paying them anything until the excess is accounted for.  The experience has made me follow Trustpilot and Which? on all energy companies, and it seems as if all or most of them are having real difficulties with billing, records, communication, and the business of being a business.  Which means that I wouldn't trust anything they say; my advice is to check and question everything. 

Charlie M
👍 1

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 07:50

I have never and *will* never pay my energy bills by direct debit. As I put it to some obnoxious energy company official some years ago, "If you give me access to your bank account, I will consider giving you access to mine!". 

I am sure that the campaign to cancel direct debit payments is a very positive step; I was talking recently with a friend from Lancashire who pays by direct debit, and who found out that the energy company was holding a £200 excess of her money, and when she asked for it back, they refused. 

I do not recommend not paying; cancelling direct debit payments, on the other hand, is *taking back control*, which *everyone* should be doing.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍 1

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 07:22

Nadine,

I am not sure that is correct. As I understand it the campaign is targeting direct debit payments, which are cancelled by the Customer. Accurate bills are then paid in full at the end of each month.

The aim being to reduce the cash balances held by the Energy Suppliers.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 07:15

Energy price increases are going to affect everyone in Charlbury so I’m just sharing details of the DON’T PAY U.K. MOVEMENT.

They are suggesting that if they get to one million supporters that we pledge to strike by not paying energy bills in order to force energy suppliers and government to rethink their position. There is much profiteering going on here.

Martin Lewis - peoples financial

champion has warned of civil disobedience like the Irish refusing to pay their mortgages. I’m a big believer in the power of the collective. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.