Cattle in field next to cemetery.

Charlbury Website
👍

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 11:33

This thread was locked by Richard Fairhurst.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 6

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 11:33

I think this has probably gone as far as it can go. Thank you to everyone for contributing.

Neil V.
👍 11

Fri 19 Aug 2022, 11:32

Perhaps the defensiveness comes from the fact that not everyone feels comfortable having their livelihood picked over by social media. Perhaps the defensiveness comes from the fact that the concerned community, having been told by an experienced farmer (and vet) that they are aware of a potential issue, should now leave them to address it as required, rather than continuing a thread (that i am now adding to!)? Ella’s initial response to Josie was absolutely clear and satisfactory. It’s a real shame that John felt pressure enough to have to respond again. 

Katie Ewer
👍 14

Thu 18 Aug 2022, 14:58

No-one has suggested anything to the contrary Joanna. I'm not quite sure why there is so much defensiveness here from Blackwells. Someone with the best intentions wanted to alert the owner of a potentially sick animal and I followed up to see if all was OK. No suggestion of any wrongdoing from anyone on here, so no need to jump to their defence! Many people enjoy watching the cows in the nature reserve including us.

Joanna Shakir
👍 9

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 19:08

Our house looks over the fields above Wigwell and we have great pleasure in watching the herd of cows. We see that the farmer comes very frequently and the cows run up to his vehicle. Several years ago when we had a possible concern about one of the cows, the farmer came very promptly to check.

Ella Blackwell
👍 5

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 15:07

For all concerned as was stated on Saturday there is no welfare issues with the cattle. No horn penetrating a cows eye and no "poor" cattle. There is photographic evidence to prove this. Josie Stone requested the contact details privately which I provided because she wished to contact me. I have had no contact so I presume she required them for another purpose. I will not be providing my contact details publicly. I don't wish to have any involvement with charlbury forum, I mind my own business. I wish to remind you all to stick to the footpaths across the land. This matter is closed.

John Blackwell 

James Styring
👍 4

Wed 17 Aug 2022, 08:04

Ella, what are the farmer's contact details?

Katie Ewer
👍 3

Mon 15 Aug 2022, 15:48

I know Ella said the farmer was "aware", but can anyone confirm that the cow has now had the eye treated? I have been wondering how the poor thing is doing as I can see them from my window?

Geoff Belcher
👍 16

Mon 15 Aug 2022, 14:48 (last edited on Mon 15 Aug 2022, 16:45)

Josie was only showing concern for the cow, perhaps a thanks for showing concern would have been nice instead of the reply from Ella we dont know that a vet is doing something and we dont always know who the owner is it was only a concern after all.

Hans Eriksson
👍 8

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 14:08

I try to talk to cows whenever I come across them but like you Josie I find there is a certain lack of response. However, they are much more intelligent than what might be apparent, at least if you read The Secret life of cows by Rosamund Young. 

Josie Stone
👍 28

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 13:37

Thank you for your help Helen and Hans.

Ella, I did ask the cow who was responsible for her at the time, but she was unable to help. 

It's good to know that the farmer and the vet are aware of the problem now and I look forward to the cow getting some swift help to sort the issue.

Helen Chapman
👍 36

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 11:50

It looks from her post as though Josie didn’t know who the farmer was, so she wouldn’t have been able to contact them directly. People often post concerns on here as it’s a good way to find out who to contact quickly - I’m not sure why it should be a problem?

Ella Blackwell
👍 3

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 11:38

The farmer and vet are aware of the situation. If you wish to discuss the cattle in the future, please contact the farmer directly rather than posting your concerns on here.

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 11:26

I don't but I would guess Blackwell in Spelsbury.

Josie Stone
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 08:09 (last edited on Sat 13 Aug 2022, 08:40)

Does anyone know who is responsible for the cattle in the field at the bottom entrance to Wigwell, Pound hill?

There is a poor cow whose horn has grown into its eye, poor thing. 

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.