Proposal re - Grassfire at BBOWT Blenheim Farm Reserve

Christine Elliott
👍 5

Sun 14 Aug 2022, 18:51

I have actually purchased 3 fire beaters which will arrive soon - I'll probably put them on the fence by the gate between the Blenheim Farm Reserve and Centenary Woodland - made of heavy duty rubber and fibreglass handles. Various designs available on the web but many are inevitably "sold out". With the new "normal" climate it would be great to have a good supply of locally made fire beaters in strategic locations around Charlbury.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Sun 14 Aug 2022, 14:02

Maybe the Fire Brigade guys’n’gals could arrange a afternoon workshop with the kids from various projects to construct a number of these “whompers’ to leave in a few stands around various vulnerable locations as a summer project? I recall Boy Scouts doing this in the 60s locally in Wentworth County. The FB would know what material to use for whomping embers.

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 11:25

I saw those lying around in the countryside when I lived in Hong Kong. I had no idea what they were. But now I know.

I am also very worried about fires. Let's hope there are noone stupid enough to deliberately start one. I am also worried about the campsites lighting barbeques. 

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Sat 13 Aug 2022, 11:03

Sounds like an excellent idea. If our summers are to continue in this vein these items should become an essential bit of kit to be placed in and around all our grasslands/woodlands. Originating, as I do from Scotland, I am sure I remember there used to be such kit supplied by the Forestry Commission up there. With our Fire Service being depleted due to cut backs, we need to start taking a more pro-active stance towards protecting our countryside in such weather.

Am I also the only one concerned about the forthcoming prediction of electrical storms on Monday/Tuesday & the risk of nature igniting our tinder dry countryside? Especially since there was talk by the weatherman yesterday of ‘dry storms’? I look around where I am up at the top of Ticknell Piece & we are surrounded by vegetation & then there is the beautiful Wychwoods, it is a worry. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Fri 12 Aug 2022, 14:55

Outside Hamilton there were numerous small woods and some quite large meadows that were often firing in the hot dry Ontario summer. Alongside roads and in small stands around these areas were stocks of fire beaters which as a kid we used a number of times to beat out smouldering grass when smoke was spotted, catching things often before they took flame properly or reached the deciduous trees.

These were simple devices. A pole about the length of a garden rake and a stout rubber and fabric beater of rectangular shape that one would whomp the flames and smoulder with until sparks and embers were extinct.

Be cheap to make and a few on a number of stands around about would usually be enough to stop things if grabbed quickly.

Did the job there and used most summers around the suburb fringes and in the public parks. Why not make some and put them about vulnerable parts locally?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.