Well that was excellent

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 13:03

I don't think they usually look at the website after the festival, but I might be wrong. It needs to be brought up at the pre-festival meeting. And I don't know whether that then brings them H&S issues, recommending people use an unlit path?

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 12:31

I think better information on the footpath existing is definitely key - good signs and publicity in the programme / app. I'm sure all those people wouldn't have walked along a busy hot road if they knew there was a shady footpath available.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 12:07

Harriet, if the organisers take note  of our comments this year, perhaps there might not be such a dangerous situation next year. 

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍 1

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 12:04

Unfortunately Sturt Road was really busy all night Friday and Saturday with cars and vans speeding past, well in excess of the normal speed locals do.  I've no idea why so many were driving around in the small hours. I don't recall being woken by traffic in previous years.

However, I wasn't woken by deep bass drum music banging in my bedroom this year. I don't mind it once a year, but the traffic was really bad this time.

Mr Grumpy

Carl A Perkins
👍 2

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 08:30

The incoming traffic was well managed this year but outgoing not so. Thames Street was at a standstill yesterday morning. Well done to several bystanders/ car passengers who took it upon themselves to help calm and direct the traffic - it made a real difference.

Perhaps next time the organisers and local authority should look at installing a temporary traffic light system for Dyers Hill/ Thames Street/ Nine Acres to help the traffic run smoothly?

Harriet Baldwin
👍 5

Tue 9 Aug 2022, 07:09 (last edited on Tue 9 Aug 2022, 07:13)

They don't need a minibus rosemary. They just need a sign on the junction at 5 ways saying no pedestrian access, and signs to the main drive. Similarly on the campsite. The footpath isn't obvious to anyone who's not local, particularly not when there's a mass of tents, cars and people around, so they can't be expected to know about it. 

But then we'd get people complaining about them walking along grammar school hill in the dark in the middle of the road.......

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Mon 8 Aug 2022, 21:09

Walking up the Witney Road was not only potentially very dangerous for the exhausted-looking walkers, but for drivers too. It is not right to have that degree of danger, whether for walkers or drivers, on that road. I was astonished that anybody could think this was acceptable. Perhaps organisers might like to consider organising a minibus next year.

The traffic was very well managed for getting production vehicles onto the site last week, but obviously not for directing them out again. This morning we had the massive Champagne Bar vehicle trundling down Pooles Lane!

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Mon 8 Aug 2022, 19:33

The only thing I would say is all the people walking on the main road was dangerous 

And all the traffic coming through finstock some at speed. 
charlbury had signs keeping the traffic out of the town. 

Craig Richards
👍 3

Mon 8 Aug 2022, 07:40

Too right.

James Norris
👍 14

Sun 7 Aug 2022, 19:37

What a fantastic weekend.

We’re so lucky to have such a great festival on our doorstep. Well done and thank you to the Wilderness team, see you next year.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.