Fleas in the garden. Is that common?

Miles Walkden
👍 1

Sun 7 Aug 2022, 23:27

Robin - I think we have a winner. Thank you. 

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sun 7 Aug 2022, 05:56

Depends whether you also get muntjac/badger/foxes or even other cats going into your garden. If that's a favoured area for sitting then they can easily leave fleas behind, in which case there's not a lot you can do about your cats

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Sat 6 Aug 2022, 20:18

Are these what are commonly called flea beetles? They jump, but they aren’t fleas. They normally like to live in the buds of our sweet peas.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 6 Aug 2022, 20:14

Might perhaps be pollen beetles which really thrive and swarm in the heat: Meligethes species. 

They are usually attracted to bright colours, especially white or yellow. They develop in the flower buds of wild flowers or agricultural crops. If so, they are harmless to you and to plants, and welcome food for garden birds! 

If your cats aren't already heavily infested, they are unlikely to be fleas.

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 6 Aug 2022, 20:04

Pretty sure. Small , black hopping onto and off my hand. I looked online and they do live outside, under bushes and leaves. Although these are pretty out in the open. Black but slightly iridescent. 

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sat 6 Aug 2022, 19:44

Are you absolutely 100% sure they are fleas?

Fleas will survive only on blood from another animal so if they are in the soil, or on grass or plants of some kind, I suspect they are not fleas but some other tiny insects.

Unless of course they are in a spot that your cats have already made their own and it is possible that the cats have left the fleas where they spend time laying down, resting.

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 6 Aug 2022, 19:14

I have hundreds of fleas in one part of my garden. Do I need to treat or will they just go? I have two cats and don’t really want them infested. Anyone else have this problem? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.