EMERGENCY COOLING BUILDING? - Charlbury Community Centre

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 22 Jul 2022, 19:19

Thanks Helen - I'll check but generally my usual settings deal with most things, though been so long going to have too google/duckduck to remember what to configure. Never had a problem before quite like this...

Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 21 Jul 2022, 12:12 (last edited on Thu 21 Jul 2022, 12:13)

Malcolm, there's a cookie popup that appears when you first load the page. Once you confirm your cookie settings, the page will scroll. It's possible you have an ad blocker that prevents popups - if so that might be causing the issue, if the overlay that prevents scrolling still displays.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 20 Jul 2022, 16:54

The website for the Town Council bike-borrow WILL NOT SCROLL under Firefox on an Apple MacBook. So cannot read the webpage (opening up Safari to see if it scrolls properly). Has anyone else had problems?

https://charlbury-tc.gov.uk/borrow-the-council-e-bike/

Kim Harrison
👍

Wed 20 Jul 2022, 16:47 (last edited on Wed 20 Jul 2022, 16:48)

Malcolm - the E bike to borrow is a Charlbury Town Council initiative. Follow the link:

https://charlbury-tc.gov.uk/borrow-the-council-e-bike/

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 18:24 (last edited on Tue 19 Jul 2022, 18:25)

Temporary "disabled" (or more accurately "frail") access is an important point. I hadn't really considered the Church innaccessible, but if you can't walk more than a few metres safely, it IS... And then there is the issue of the vulnerable person's companion - can they, the vulnerable person, be left for many long minutes while a car is taken away to a longer term parking place and said companion returns?

Just out of curiousity, what is the internal temperature of St. Mary's - and how long will its thermal latency last?

Maybe we should have a battery powered, hooded, Rickshaw or few, for very short hop transport. Perhaps I'm not altogether in jest. Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a near-future ecological adapted California novel called Gold Coast in the early 80s(? late 70s?) It came closest to my ideal eco world then than anything I've seen since (ISTR he foresaw networked world a bit too) But I was a fit cyclisy cycling evertwhere within a 15 mile radius of Central London then. Now I couldn't get back by bicycle up the Enstone Rd to The Green without pedal assist... pathetic.

Which reminds me - insn't there a "Town" eBike to borrow for trial? I asked a week or more about this but no replies. I tried checking eBikes for sale but EVERYWHERE with anything decent is sold out. And I was only allowed one circuit of Wychwood Paddock a couple of years ago on a try-out session and had no chance to see if it would assist my injuries climbing up the slopes in and around town.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 15:50

Malcolm that'll include parking/dropping off areas, as we could have done with taking my mother down but due to her inability to walk far it's not been possible.

Janet Sly
👍 1

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 14:46

Given likely weather trends and the possibility that quite quickly such extreme weather events are modelled to happen frequently and often multiple times a year we should be paying serious attention to equipping Community Weather Refuges with ADEQUATE cooling to cope with the the extreme events? I was astonished that the CCC, although designed to minimise energy use during the majority of the climate hereabouts- the need for ventilation and space heating- hadn’t been equipped with the “what if” cooling scenarios and community refuges in mind. I recall making those points in my “ more important “ days decades ago when drawing up specifications for public buildings as an energy “x-spurt” in places in London. (X being an unknown quantity and spurt being a drip under pressure as we used to joke. A bit too painfully close to the truth than is often comfortable).

Perhaps before the next decade is out we should be serious about putting in place plans and equipment for extreme weather refuges. The weather is not going to stabilise! Malcolm using Js account on her tablet.

Kim Harrison
👍 3

Mon 18 Jul 2022, 16:10 (last edited on Mon 18 Jul 2022, 16:14)

St Mary's Church is indeed open for this very purpose. The CCC and Sports Hall were considered probably not cool enough!

A food cooler has been provided (thanks Chris Potts) and filled with ice (thanks Charlie Crossley from The Bull) for anyone requiring a cold drink. I will ensure it is refreshed for tomorrow too.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 15:47

Thanks Brian. That’s good to know.

Do we still have a Town Crier though!

Brian Murray
👍 3

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 14:57

A posting on the home page of this web site yesterday afternoon advises that St Mary's church will be open and available for that very purpose.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 14:41

I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 14:29

If the heatwave is as serious as its metereological statistical probabilities give warning: should "we" in Town designate a cooling area open to all who might be health-damagingly heat-stressed and in danger of HypERthermia.

The CCC and its Sports Hall immediately come to mind.

Has there been any contingency planning or consideration given to what sizeable "cool spaces" there are in the Town and hinterland and if records tumble dangerously...

If not for this year - these events are going to (a) worsen (b) increase in frequency.

I'm aware Cool Refuges are used in other countries, so might be some examples to take tips from.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.