Solar panels

Claire Wilding
👍 2

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 20:51

Hi Hans, the cost and payback varies a lot depending on how many panels you get, your energy use and the type of set up you install. Typical costs would be 3k - 10k. But if you wanted a top of the range Tesla battery, you would pay a lot more. We have a cheaper battery. 

There are apps available which can look at the position and size of your roof and let you know the costs and payback. 

I've just been debating the payback period with my husband. He thinks it's 12 years, I think it's less. Of course it depends what happens to energy prices. 

Hans Eriksson
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 19:09

Can you give an indication Claire of the total outlay and the savings p.a.? I appreciate electricity prices are a bit high atm...

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 16:30

Any indication of how much the "extra bit" to avoid electrocuting a electricity worker downstream in  the system (your house has to instantly seperate the connection or else there is current flowing "upstream") err any indication of how much it would cost?

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 16:21

We've got a 5kW array and a single battery.  It needs power from the grid to function.  There's another bit we can buy apparently if we want it to provide power during a power cut. 

I'm not allowed to recommend a supplier (as I'm a Town Councillor), but we got quotes from Deege and JoJu.  There are other companies working locally but I can't recall the names. Whatever company you use, I expect they all have long lead in times and supply issues. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 16:09

I've wanted a battery ever since we got our panels put in, jusy squeeking in before the Tory/Lib Dem Austerity nutcase guv'mint cut the grants and threw 35,000 workers fitting panels and ancillary works into unemployment about 9? years ago.

What I want is it wired as a "UPS" - Uninterruptable Power Supply - with a few kWh reserved to run light, central heating pump, and internet devices (I live for my podcasts finding reading difficult nowadays, ditto watching TV due to vertigo) then the rest sold back to the grid or used when input prices off the grid are expensive. We should probably double the size of our PV array. Compass orientation of the roof not optimal, but might be worthwhile.

What exactly is your setup doing? And who did you use?

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 15:52

We've just got solar panels and they're great! A few people have asked about them so I'm starting a thread to share the information around. Our panels are currently supplying all our electricity and hot water. 

We have a battery which charges up during the day for use at night. Once the battery is charged, any excess energy goes to heating the water.  Then once that's hot, any extra energy goes to the grid. Happy to answer any solar panel questions. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.