St Marys Church - Planning Application

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2009, 15:08

The district council has given its reasons for refusing the application in the following words:

"The proposed burial ground and pathway due to their siting, design and form will introduce an urban and alien feature to the detriment of the setting of the Grade I Listed Church and the character and appearance of the wider Charlbury Conservation Area. As such, the proposal is considered to be contrary to Policies BE2, BE5 and BE8 of the adopted West Oxfordshire Local Plan 2011."

Roger Short
👍

Wed 8 Apr 2009, 05:53

Can i ask ,is it not possible to incorporate a wall whereas small brass plaques can be placed as in crematoriums to remember loved ones in a garden of rememberance.

Anna Fairhurst
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2009, 21:15

Can I just explain a little about what we're trying to do in the churchyard and why? Our churchyard has been closed for burials since the late 19th century, but we are allowed to bury ashes, and it's a service which many Charlbury families have been grateful for over the years. However, our current plot for ashes burial is now full. We are going to have one more burial of ashes on Easter Sunday, then that's it, and nobody is able to have their ashes buried in the churchyard. The PCC have been debating what to do about it for at least the eight years I've been involved, and we've finally agreed a plan to bury ashes in a part of the churchyard (at the East End of the church) where there are no gravestones to interfere with and which does not directly abut anyone's garden. We wanted to keep the visual impact down, so we'd like to say no marker stones: that's the reason for a two-foot high wall (significantly lower than the gravestones). A wall would give a focus for contemplation and a place to lay flowers. However, we're not hugely anxious if that were to go from the plans. What we do need is disabled access, as many people whose ashes are buried are, by the very nature of things, elderly and have elderly people wanting to visit. The path we have chosen is not only wheelchair-friendly but also suitable for walking sticks and for the visually impaired. It would be such a shame if we had to stop allowing Charlbury people the choice of having their ashes buried in the churchyard. There was a notice on the church door for a month last year as well as the yellow forms at the moment (and the other consultations listed here), though we have learnt that people don't necessarily see things like that. We do acknowledge that more could be done in future to consult the wider community, and we have begun discussions on how situations like this could be avoided in future.

Jo Murphy
👍

Tue 7 Apr 2009, 16:47

Back to the planning permission, by way of interest and the consultation process, all matters that go forward to apply for a Faculty from the church commissioners has to be posted on the church door for 28 days before the application. So I when you are passing the church door, on foot or bike, and you see a white sheet pinned to it is worth a read and you may find out what is going on inside, and outside.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 6 Apr 2009, 08:35

Apologies for my misleading statement, Susie, you are absolutely right. I looked at 'consultees' rather than 'neighbours'. So there has been consultation, there have been yellow notices (Neil, I saw you walking past one the other day!). And anyone who wants to monitor planning applications generally can do so daily (!) on the WODC website. What more can we ask for? And the 'resin-bonded' path is wheelchair friendly. Wow!

Roger Short
👍

Mon 6 Apr 2009, 00:50

As someone who does not atend church on a regular basis ,but who still holds the church and clergy in high regard i feel that the best results will be attained as they were when the electricity substation was installed many years ago.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 5 Apr 2009, 22:28

I think you will find that all neighbours have been informed that a planning application has been applied for - in fact most of Church Street, some in Park Street and in Church Close. You can see on the WODC website those who have been consulted. From the plans I cannot see any "eyesore" and can see that St Mary's have taken a sympathetic approach in the planning of this area for the burial of ashes.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 5 Apr 2009, 20:05

Interestingly, the WODC website lists only two consultees, as follows:
Consultees
Name Mr S R Clarke
Company Name Charlbury Town Council
Address 9 Hill Close Charlbury Oxon OX7 3SY
Name Rob Parkinson
Company Name WODC Architect
Address Planning Services, Elmfield, New Yatt Road, Witney, OX28 1PB

Bear in mind that with most planning applications, owners of immediately neighbouring properties are consulted.

Whether the Town Council discussed it at its meeting on March 25 I do not know (the minutes will not be published for another three weeks or so).

I take all your points wholeheartedly, Richard, and may well agree with the application, but it does look to me as if the town has been short-changed on the consultation process. Especially if councillors have not been seeking the views of residents in general, and of neighbours in particular. Poor consultation is in nobody's interests, and in this case it has put the church on the back foot too.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 5 Apr 2009, 19:09

I don't really have any feelings on the walled garden and personally find it very difficult to get worked up either way. But I'm saddened by the way that the debate is being conducted (not meant specifically about your posting, Neil, I've had a handful of conversations with people about…

Long post - click to read full text

Neil Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Sun 5 Apr 2009, 17:45

St Marys Church - Planning Application
Application number: 09/0252/P/FP

St Mary's Church is planning to build a new wall in the middle of the main graveyard, with a new 'Sureset' resin-bonded pathway leading from the seat and cutting between the ancient headstones to a new area for burial of ashes. I am concerned that very few people seem to know about it, and it could be an eyesore that will adversely affect one of our most peaceful and beautiful sights of Charlbury.

The planning application suggests that the 'neighbours or local community' have been consulted by a 'faculty process includes public notices' and 'Parochial Church Council minutes published'. Personally I don't think this is adequate. The proposed development has not been well publicised. I was unable even to find a mention of it in The Chronicle. And there has clearly been no public consultation. There should be. The planning development should be put on hold until the development has been properly publicised. There should be more opportunity for the local community to express their views. The local community should also be made aware of the likely visual impact of the development, including provision of computer-generated images or artists' drawings to show how the proposed development will look. Only then can people decide whether it is acceptable.

I have written a letter to the District Council along the lines above, with a copy to our Town Council. Some people have encouraged me to raise awareness about the issue on the Charlbury forum. So here we go, issue raised! If there are others in Charlbury who have concerns about this planning application, please make yourself heard.

The deadline for objections is ***April 8th***

Objections should be presented in writing to:

Head of Planning,
West Oxfordshire District Council,
Elmfield,
New Yatt Road, Witney OX28 1PB

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.