Why did the polecat cross the road?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Thu 7 Jul 2022, 20:01

A few years ago when driving back that way I almost hit two mink. Instinct made me avoid them but after I'd confirmed the identity from online photos I reported it by phone to ... BBOWT? Can't recall now. Thought I should report a sighting of a dangerous invasive species y'see.

The person on the other end of the line had a quite definite opinion on the sighting of the mink - "next time don't miss" she said.

John Dora
👍 1

Thu 7 Jul 2022, 19:03

Stoat? Weasel? A weasel is (w)easily recognised. A stoat is (s)toatally different. Groan... 

vicky burton
👍

Thu 7 Jul 2022, 14:47

Whatever it is or they are; I think there's a dead one on the road before you reach the 30mph sign on the road from Fawler. I noticed it driving back yesterday evening. I too thought it was a strange looking thing! Black with brown markings.

Katherine Holmes
👍

Thu 7 Jul 2022, 12:01

They are certainly around although not in massive numbers. There are a fair few polecat / ferret hybrids too. If you see it again and get a better look to ID it for sure, it would be a great record to report to our local records centre TVERC

https://www.tverc.org/cms/content/share-your-records ;

I think there are still groups of scientists using these records to monitor the spread of polecat populations. A Mink record would also certainly be of interest to them!

Felicity Brooks
👍

Thu 7 Jul 2022, 11:19

Thanks, Veronica. That's a thought... though I think it had markings on its face. Only saw it for a split second!

veronica robinson
👍

Wed 6 Jul 2022, 13:00

Could it possibly be a mink?  I, too, have seen a similar animal and what was very noticeable was its rich brown coat. 

Felicity Brooks
👍 1

Wed 6 Jul 2022, 12:06 (last edited on Wed 6 Jul 2022, 12:11)

I saw a largish dark long mammal of the mustelid variety cross the road in front of me on way back from Fawler last night. Too big to be a weasel, ferret or stoat and colours all wrong... and it wasn't an otter. I conclude it was a polecat, but I've only seen them in France before. Is this likely does anyone know?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.