Speed order and Parking Restrictions

Philip Ambrose
👍 4

Sat 4 Jun 2022, 12:15 (last edited on Sat 4 Jun 2022, 12:22)

Given that the cost of replacing and running a private car is skyrocketing, maybe shared ownership via Car Clubs is an answer to some of the problems highlighted? 

Much easier to have a positive attitude to reserved EV spaces at the Spendlove for a few Car Club vehicles than privately owned ones.

Carl A Perkins
👍

Sat 4 Jun 2022, 09:51

As I’ve said on previous similar threads, estate agents should be responsibly telling people interested in moving here that parking in certain areas of the town is limited.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 12:57 (last edited on Fri 3 Jun 2022, 15:29)

Nice to see that critical posts have been amended - but lacked of a balanced view  pointless to respond to blinkered views when not willing to contribute !  I note from many previous posts on the forum the following phrase has been use - Bye Bye - end of proactive support to a situation and support needed to many who will be affected - and will need to charge their vehicles in the coming years ! Subterranean- now that would work 

Chris Tatton
👍 6

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 12:32

Yeah, great idea to concrete over more of Charlbury’s green spaces to make way for yet more cars. 

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 11:42 (last edited on Fri 3 Jun 2022, 11:54)

Chris as you are aware the forum is not for one to one discussions - otherwise you willget this moved into debate . Not my intention- yours ?

Some of my ideas are 

- use public land to create off street parking

- approach Cornbury for options ,

- create overspill on 9 acres 

- subterranean options 

-Building private garages for rental for occasional users , properties in the town centre then releasing further spaces 

-Land to the rear of the Bell  

-Land off Shilson Lane opposite the pre school 

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 11:33

Chris,

Perhaps this should be a general discussion and not individual point of view - so you have any ideas ? or wish to share ? 

Chris Tatton
👍 2

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 10:24 (last edited on Fri 3 Jun 2022, 12:29)

So where are those who want extra parking suggesting theses new car parking spaces can be created?

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 08:07

Parking and Charging go hand in hand , so therefore need to be considered in the same way . 

James Norris
👍 1

Fri 3 Jun 2022, 07:09

Mark, your point about electric vehicle charging is really valid. Demand for EVs is through the roof and we’ll quickly be upon the 2030 cutoff for sale of fossil fuel vehicles, if the infrastructure for this isn’t factored in now and at scale, we’re (nationally, not just here) then we’ve a serious issue in the near future.

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 17:17

Supply and Demand - Keep it simple ! Not enough parking spaces - more needed 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 7

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 16:53

Charlie, half the point of making the streets more welcoming to walking and cycling is that it frees up space for those who do have to drive their own cars – like the people you mention.

No one – certainly not Liz, and not even me – is saying that cars should be banned. But if those who can walk, cycle, take the bus, or lift-share do so… then that means those who have to drive are more likely to find a parking space close to their destination.

(memo to self: next year’s April Fool will be about bulldozing the R&C to provide more car parking)

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 15:38

The County Council is due to take back control of enforcement from WODC next year, in spite of the howls of outrage from the now former administration.  It can hardly make it less competent or less visible.

Simon J Harley
👍 1

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 15:23 (last edited on Thu 2 Jun 2022, 15:25)

I agree with Russell.  Without enforcement, it’s all a waste of time and money.  Working in the town centre, I would honestly say that I see a traffic warden maybe once every couple of months?  Hardly a deterrent if you know the chances of getting a parking ticket are so small. 

Russell Ingham
👍

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 15:06

Certainly, we can designate and regulate more parking areas but it's a waste of time and money if such restrictions are or can not be enforced.  It might benefit us to spend the money on increasing the enforcement measures as well as painting the tarmac.

Charlie M
👍 10

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 14:21

Jolly good for you, Liz Reason. Try telling that to those who have to cope with things like Emphysema and COPD.

... if you dare.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 11:55

I no longer take on work in the centre of Charlbury because of the impossibility of parking, I know I'm not alone in having made that decision. 

Liz Reason
👍 6

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 11:11

Imagine more walking and cycling.  Journeys are not all about cars.

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 09:33

Are there any planed charging points for electric vehicles in public spaces , as this should be a consideration as part of current planning with restrictions, provision of charging points for visitors to Charlbury and the residents ( current and future ) of properties unable to access spaces or the ability to have a charging point in town centre properties ? 

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 09:27 (last edited on Thu 2 Jun 2022, 09:34)

On every occasion I enter Spendlove car park- I very rarely see any parked vehicles in the allocated disabled spaces. VERY often there are cars parked or waiting  in the disabled space outside the front of the co op , not occupied by disabled drivers . ! 

Charlie M
👍 3

Thu 2 Jun 2022, 06:06

A simple idea: 
Why not make parking in parts of the Town Centre (such as outside the Chemist and outside The Bull) 20 minutes maximum between the hours of (say) 10:30am and 3:30pm? These are presumably the most "intense" of shopping hours, and would also limit those who park there all day to avoid the exorbitant station parking charges (which, by the way I do *not* approve of)? 
Just an idea...

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 1 Jun 2022, 21:05

Interesting point made re spaces for shoppers versus workers / residents.  A difficult balance to strike. If you own / run retail premises in the Town Centre, parking there all day potentially deprives yourself of multiple customers. To that extent, more limited time spaces could benefit the town. 

Equipping one hour parking bays with electrical recharging facilities would be a bit of a waste of time IMHO. Has the TC gone OTT with the number of disabled spaces in the Spendlove Car Park? Incidentally, there could be two more bays at the Spendlove car park to the left of the current 30 minute ones.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Mon 30 May 2022, 13:19

Thanks Amanda! You could drop a email to Christian Mauz at the county council (christian.mauz@oxfordshire.gov.uk) and he’ll be able to add that to your response when it’s considered.

Amanda Epps
👍 3

Mon 30 May 2022, 12:53

Richard, I tried to change my response to the consultation after reading your post but the site wouldn’t allow me to do so.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Mon 30 May 2022, 10:29

I think there’s been a bit of a foul-up in the plans (these things happen) and what’s being proposed on Market Street isn’t quite what the Town Council consulted on the other year.

The original TC proposal was that the area outside the former Post Office would have the double yellow lines removed, and an equivalent area outside the Pharmacy would get a one-hour restriction. This would retain the existing amount of unrestricted parking on Market Street while adding new spaces for shoppers.

The OCC consultation envisages that both areas (outside the Post Office and outside the Pharmacy) will have a one-hour restriction. This would mean there’s less unrestricted parking which would be difficult for residents and those who work in the town centre.

I’m sure this is a genuine mistake, but please do mention in your consultation responses that the new spaces outside the former PO should be unrestricted.

James Norris
👍 5

Sun 29 May 2022, 17:41

Just implement resident permit passes

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Sun 29 May 2022, 17:26

The residents of Market Street will need somewhere to park , any options of open spaces made available? Good ideas and layouts , but the ripple effect of moving vehicles will encroach on other locations . Parking / Garages needed to compensate the loss ? Electric charging points in the 1 hr bays should be considered- built into the road as raisable posts ?  as ugly wires hanging out of upstairs windows over pavements, not consistent with AONB 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Sat 28 May 2022, 22:55

Philip - when we did the site visit with the highways officer, he pointed out the already illegal parking on the Thanes Street/Nine Acres junction.  As WODC’s parking enforcement has been ineffective verging on non-existent - and it’s good that this is going to change - a visible reminder in the form of double yellow lines should help a little more.

The proposals result in a net increase in town centre parking spaces, focusing specifically on Market Street shops.

Liz Leffman
👍 2

Sat 28 May 2022, 19:52 (last edited on Sat 28 May 2022, 19:55)

The consultation which includes Nine Acres Lane is here:

https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/charlbury_30mphparking2022

There are several roads in the area badly in need of resurfacing, but limited financial resources mean that they will  have to wait a while. They will be done eventually.  Nothing to do with the cycle race!

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Sat 28 May 2022, 18:25 (last edited on Sat 28 May 2022, 19:20)

Re parking restrictions, the bottom of Nine Acre is a junction and as such there should (according to the Highway Code) be NO parking within 10 yards of it anyway. The proposals are much needed to avoid the gridlocks that frequently occur.

Liz, I have previously flagged up the very poor state of the Spelsbury to Enstone road up to the B4022. It is getting worse by the day. I hope that the roads budget is not being reserved for the roads that comprise the route of the cycle race on Saturday 11th June.

Liz Leffman
👍 5

Sat 28 May 2022, 17:34 (last edited on Sat 28 May 2022, 17:36)

If there are specific drains that need clearing, please can you log them on www.fixmystreet.oxfordshire.gov.uk.

Verges are cut twice a year on a rotating schedule so they will be done soon. But again, if there are particular areas that are a problem, please either let me know or put them on Fix My Street.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Sat 28 May 2022, 16:23

New proposals being applied for , good news from a safety perspective, but where will people park ??  Regarding safety, it’s that time of year again of poor maintenance of verge grass cutting and reduced visibility , with a lot more cyclists - needs attention ! and clearing the kerb drains - 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.