Ukrianian guests in need of English lessons?

James Styring
👍

Thu 19 May 2022, 12:26

We've been in contact with 18 adults so far, most if not all requiring lessons.

There is about the same number of children, mainly attending primary and secondary schools already, where they are picking up English fairly quickly.

Lessons will be just for adults (not sure yet about the summer holidays).

James Norris
👍

Thu 19 May 2022, 04:05 (last edited on Thu 19 May 2022, 04:09)

Well done, James. Great initiative. How many do we know are confirmed as being relocated in the area?

A potential consideration: Aren’t religious Ukrainians orthodox? Holding this in a baptist church could be problematic. Is there a neutral venue? End up with the sort of sectarianism not seen outside the Old Firm derby.

James Styring
👍 2

Wed 18 May 2022, 11:40

PS We have 8 teachers and 8 teaching assistants on our books, which is fantastic! 

If you're a teacher/ex-teacher (especially with ESOL or EFL experience), please get in touch as well – the more teachers we have the more lessons we can provide!

Teaching assistants are also very useful, especially when learners have basic English – no experience needed. (Several of our teaching assistants are ex-teachers who will lead their own classes once they have got the hang of the classroom again.) 

Classes will generally be held in the Baptist Church, Charlbury, at times to be arranged.

Thank you.

James Styring
👍 2

Wed 18 May 2022, 11:31

A few of us are organising free English lessons for Ukrainian refugees who are living in and around Charlbury. I had assumed that CRAG knew of all Ukrainian refugees locally, but I've realised that quite a few aren't in touch with CRAG. If you are hosting Ukrainian refugees who are not already in contact with us about lessons, pls email me at james.styring@charlbury-tc.gov.uk and we'll arrange an assessment (of language level) and in due course, lessons.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.