john h
👍 1

Tue 17 May 2022, 21:26

It was The Rooks Nest, Vicky. JH

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 20:01

The Chequers in Spelsbury burned down in 1924: https://spelsbury.org/history/the-chequers-inn/

Peter Bennett
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 18:18

John Hounslow was a publican at Spelsbury according to the 1841 census. Address is just shown as 'Spelsbury', with no pub name. 

Douglas Rudlin
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 10:51

Thanks Vicky. Could you be a bit more specific about its location. I'm not familiar with Charlbury Road. Which building are you talking about?

vicky burton
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 10:41

I think The Black Horse was the name of the pub on Charlbury Rd no? 

The building is currently undergoing serious renovation following years of dereliction. It was definitely a pub ! 

Douglas Rudlin
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 10:00

Can anyone provide any information on the following pubs.

In ‘My Reminiscences of Charlbury,’ by Jesse Clifford, first published in 1892, the author refers to one called the Orange-tree and one called the Black Horse.

In ‘Charming Charlbury,’ by John Kibble, first published in 1930, the author mentions The Lion.

And in the 1839 Robson’s Commercial Directory of Beds, Bucks & Oxon The Chequers, where the licensee was John Hounslow.

I have so far been unable to find any information about these pubs. Where were they?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.