Queen’s Green Canopy?

Charlbury Community Centre
👍 1

Wed 18 May 2022, 07:58

It was a lovely event and the Countess was very professonal but also warm and friendly. Our thanks to all involved and to Margie for helping Charlbury to get recognised in this way.

Jan, regarding photos - any that we share publicly need to be vetted first, which I gather does not take long. Edmund Blok took lots, so I'm sure there will be some on here and the Community Centre's website and social media pages soon.

Marjorie Glasgow
👍 7

Wed 18 May 2022, 06:28 (last edited on Wed 18 May 2022, 10:41)

Thank you all for creating such a memorable day.  The Countess' team was looking for communities that did an exceptional job of working together during and after the pandemic so HRH could thank them in person. Oxfordshire Lieutenancy suggested Charlbury with the Community Centre and the Cornerstone as focal points.  How lovely that so many people joined in the celebration with the tree planting on The Playing Close as well.  Enormous thanks to all for doing so much of the organisation and creating all the special touches - cake, flowers, pre-planted tree, helping young and not-so-young be part of the day. 

Jan Going
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 20:24

Is there a way of posting photographs on the forum?  I took some good pictures of the Countess this afternoon.

Simon J Harley
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 20:15 (last edited on Tue 17 May 2022, 20:16)

We made the news.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10826125/amp/Sophie-Wessex-hugs-pre-schooler-visits-Community-Centre-Charlbury.html

Judy kinchella
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 19:22

I can remember Prince Charles landing at Ditchley in his helicopter when I was 6, must have been about 1965.

Wendy Bailey
👍 2

Tue 17 May 2022, 18:44

I second that, huge thanks to all involved in making such a special afternoon for Charlbury putting us on the Royal map.

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 18:41 (last edited on Tue 17 May 2022, 18:45)

The Queen drove through slowly on her way from Ditchley in the 1950s and Princess Margaret attended church in St Mary's when visiting the then Lord Blandford also in the 1950s,  this was a private visit 

James Styring
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 16:19

Simon, I didn't arrange it, I was just asked as a town councillor to give a welcome address for the Countess on behalf of the town.

I think Margie Glasgow (as Lord Lieutenant) and Chris Potts of TGT organised it all with Daniela Jenkins and others, not sure exactly who was involved. It was fun and I think the children (and grown ups) enjoyed it, notwithstanding the historical inaccuracies! 

Simon J Harley
👍 2

Tue 17 May 2022, 16:05

James, always happy to heckle.  Thank you for arranging the event.  Its all about making memories for the children.

James Styring
👍

Tue 17 May 2022, 15:56

Simon, several people mentioned that I got that wrong in my speech, this apparently wasn't the first royal visit since 1886! At least the primary school kids got to do some maths. Don't tell Princess Anne. Thanks for coming. (I should have said, hecklers were welcome!)

Simon J Harley
👍 3

Tue 17 May 2022, 15:42 (last edited on Tue 17 May 2022, 15:48)

What a lovely afternoon seeing Countess Sophie meeting the children on the Playing Close.

I don't know whether I heard correctly that todays visit was the 1st royal visit in 150 years?  Princess Anne visited in 2006.  Was this not classed as a Royal Visit?

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/924733.princess-visits-mark-granting-charters/

daniela jenkins
👍 4

Tue 17 May 2022, 10:36

https://queensgreencanopy.org/

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 16 May 2022, 19:17

What is the Queen’s Green Canopy being signified by a tree planting in Playing Close? A construction somewhere in town or a big national forest/tree planting scheme neither of which I’ve not heard of?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.