Pigeon

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 16 May 2022, 20:05

Hopefully. Although I was told "if he returns" which makes it seem as if the owner wasn't expecting him to. He did seem to have breathing problems in the Wednesday (audible breathing) but that cleared up as he got stronger. 

But as I haven't heard anything maybe he's stopped off somewhere else!

Charlie M
👍 1

Mon 16 May 2022, 19:38

I have been following it too. I also look forward to a successful pigeon post ...

Valerie Stewart
👍 3

Mon 16 May 2022, 17:36

I can't be the only one who's followed the pigeon story with consuming interest.  Will its carers/foster-parents be informed when it gets home, and will the news be posted to the forum?  The suspense is dreadful.  

Harriet Baldwin
👍 10

Sat 14 May 2022, 16:42

He feels he is fully recharged and is on his way home. Hopefully he'll get there.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 13 May 2022, 17:09

I’ve remembered which house in  Brighton with the pigeon in the cardboard box. The small rectangle hole in the upturned box was big enough for the pigeon to stick his head out of it and watch everything happening in the kitchen and after weeks he just flew away through the open door.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 11

Thu 12 May 2022, 14:52

I got in touch with the owner yesterday, we don't have a suitable transportation box for the pigeon, so we're going to let him fly home when he's ready. Owner was in touch via email today checking up on him. I expect he'll be wanting to move on shortly but at the moment he's not interested in flying anyway, he walks about and looks outside and stays in the house even when the door is open and eats and drinks. We must be providing 5* pigeon accommodation.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 12 May 2022, 11:05 (last edited on Thu 12 May 2022, 11:06)

There are ways of contacting the owner of the pigeon. See https://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/

However, helpwildlife.co.uk advises that before returning the pigeon to its owner, it should first be established whether the owner wants the pigeon back and whether it will simply be culled (as a racing failure) after it has been returned. See https://helpwildlife.co.uk/advice/racing-pigeons/

glena chadwick
👍 3

Thu 12 May 2022, 09:51

I was with Laura when we first met her/him. So glad you are doing such a great job Harriet. A thought---is there not a national pigeon association that one could contact and so the owner would be able to come and fetch it ?

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Thu 12 May 2022, 06:58

He's had crushed sunflower seeds, which was all I could find in the co-op. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 11 May 2022, 23:06

He will need some lipids(fat) and protein soon if not now. While rice is better than cornflakes(!) some oily seeds or insects. Do pigeons eat cheese? I hadn't thought about using the ring to identify the loft! How things have moved on since we collected a couple decades ago in Sussex 'cos of course there's now the internet.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Wed 11 May 2022, 15:07

He comes from/is on his way back to Dorset and was reported in Stow at the weekend, so he either didn't feed properly in Stow or he's ill. He is sitting in the living room looking gloomy, in the way that pigeons do, and making no attempt to fly, but he wouldn't leave today anyway because of the rain. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 11 May 2022, 14:41

There’s a big chance that you might have adopted a pigeon for life so I’ve heard tales before!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 11 May 2022, 00:06

Re-sent. The original message was in my sent folder too so no idea who it went to as its clearly marked to you in that...??

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 11 May 2022, 00:03

If not you, who...?

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 10 May 2022, 19:37

BTW, no PM Malcolm, you might want to resend it

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 10 May 2022, 19:32

It may not want to leave. I saw it on the football pitch and decided to buy it the cornflakes so it could feed there and move on. When I came back from the co-op 15 mins later it had gone, so I carried on up to my mother's. A couple of hours later she said "oh look what's come in!" And there was the pigeon, obviously looking for the cornflakes I'd told it I'd get. 

We'll maybe give it some more tomorrow morning, but it's had a lot to drink and is now shut up in a dark cat carrier so it gets a good sleep.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Tue 10 May 2022, 19:15

Harriet you have mail on charlbury.info internal system.

Generally knackered pigeons just need feeding and watering. Put it in a dark box so it doesn't startle if its nervous. If not stressed by people might not be necessary to box it up but then all that eats must **** in the Ye Olde English saying....

In a day or two from my two previous experiences of ringed pigeons it will be quite obvious when s/he wants to push on.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 10 May 2022, 17:56

We've got it. It walked into my mother's kitchen at the top of nine acres close. It's an exhausted racing pigeon, and we've given it cornflakes because we have no seed and a drink but it can't stay in her house (or the garden) because the neighbours cats come in and out so I don't know what to do with it now.

Laura Macy
👍

Tue 10 May 2022, 15:47

There is a pigeon with wrist bands (tags) on 9 acres. Now in the football pitch. It doesn't seem to want to fly, though it seems healthy enough. But it obviously belongs to someone and we're worried that if it can't fly it might eventually come to harm. It's a lovely bird, with brown marks on very pale wings, and three tags: green, yellow and ?red?#

Is it yours?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.