Swifts

Liz Puttick
👍

Thu 19 May 2022, 08:55

Why the swifts are late this year (north-easterly winds and bad weather in southern Europe)

Andrew Lawson
👍 5

Tue 10 May 2022, 08:49

Now that the swifts have started to arrive, it's time for people with swift-boxes to start to play the calls to attract them in. Please point the loudspeakers to the sky, if possible. Be very considerate to your neighbours and agree to acceptable times and volumes for them to be used. Let's hope for good results, but we have to be aware that the birds are having a hard time with shortage of insects across their whole range including Africa, and numbers are very vulnerable. 

Alex Gerrard
👍

Mon 9 May 2022, 17:37

Three overhead yesterday and again today, so lovely to see them again.

Flora Gregory
👍 1

Mon 9 May 2022, 16:22

Yes I saw 3, what a pleasure, along Pooles Lane going at huge speed towards Sheep Street/Hixet Wood.  Hurrah ! 

Does anyone have house martins or swallows nesting on their property please ? We have a fair idea of most of the swift nesting sites in and around Charlbury but our house martin and swallow populations are not in such good health.  There used to be so many here. 

Susan Terry
👍 2

Mon 9 May 2022, 11:01

Swifts flying over Millfield this morning! Hurrah! 

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 6 May 2022, 14:01 (last edited on Fri 6 May 2022, 16:28)

I think I saw a couple of swifts today in the Park Street area?

As Helen says, people are being encouraged to make mud pies to help birds construct their nests while it is dry. In the following article it also says:

Some migratory birds have arrived later this year because there have been persistent easterly and north-easterly winds, which make it harder for them to fly northwards. According to Marco Petagna at the Met Office, UK temperatures are “several degrees above where they should be at this time of year”.

Muck in to help nesting birds during UK heatwave, says RSPB

Helen Chapman
👍 1

Fri 6 May 2022, 12:03 (last edited on Fri 6 May 2022, 12:03)

The rspb suggests making 'mud pies' for house martins: https://www.rspb.org.uk/about-the-rspb/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/mud-pies-for-house-martins/

Briony Lawson
👍 2

Mon 2 May 2022, 16:44 (last edited on Mon 2 May 2022, 16:44)

We're still eagerly waiting for the swifts to arrive in Church Street. They're usually here on 28 April.  Probably late because it's been so cold. A few house martens around though.

alan fraser
👍 1

Sun 1 May 2022, 09:09

I spotted what looked like a swift at the bottom of Nine Acres Lane yesterday

Jim Holah
👍 1

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 20:13

Yes, at Blenheim yesterday

K Harper
👍 1

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 19:39

We have swallows in Finstock!  Kris

Hannah Gibbons
👍

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 18:09

Has anyone spotted any swifts yet this year? Hoping our new swift box will be occupied! 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.