Local NHS Dentists

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 19:49

Hi Clive, I used what is now BUPA and it was hit and miss depending on the dentist, but their misses were better than St John's. I did initially see NHS dentists but they kept leaving or going private so in the end of I saw a private dentist, sadly now retired. He was very good and they did use to offer payment plans, which maybe cushion the blow.

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 17:10

Hi, again!

As well as Jan's negative assessment of St John's, I've had two others message me saying they've had horrific treatment there.

But I've got to register somewhere!

BUPA Dental Care in Oxford seems to be taking NHS patients.  I've applied, but if anyone has anything detrimental (or, just maybe, even nice) to say about them I'd love to hear it before I commit myself.

Jan Going
👍 2

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 22:04

Clive - I was also taken on at the St John's Dental Practice but was not impressed. They do private as well as NHS work.  They hardly looked at my teeth and only took X-rays.  I was told that my treatment on one tooth would be better done privately and they quoted me over £1,000 to repair a tooth.  I decided to get a second opinion and found a dentist (private) in Deddington who said the same tooth needed refilling and that there was nothing seriously wrong with it. 

Emily Algar
👍 1

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 18:16

I am really pleased I could be of help Kris. I have only had good experiences with the students and their teachers at Guys. I hope you have the same. 

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍 1

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 17:33

Many thanks for all the useful advice!

I went on the NHS website, and found that St John's Dental Practice in central Oxford is taking NHS patients.  I got in touch with them, and they've taken me on.  And my full-registration check-up, at the normal NHS price (£23.80) is on May 16, less than three weeks away.

Wendy Bailey
👍

Mon 25 Apr 2022, 16:27 (last edited on Wed 27 Apr 2022, 11:01)

If you need sedation you can get referred to the community hospital either in Witney or Banbury. It's N.H.S.

K Harper
👍 1

Mon 25 Apr 2022, 16:03

Following the information about self referral to Guys we found, completed and sent the application form last night; we have had a telephone call this morning to gather further details for initial assessment. So many thanks to Emily for excellent advice.  Kris

Alice Brander
👍 1

Mon 25 Apr 2022, 12:19

The same thing happened to me with my NHS dentist in Oxford after I delayed a few months because the Covid risk was too high.  I too went on a number of waiting lists and then gave up.  The Government are not funding any extra NHS patients I’m afraid. 

Emily Algar
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 18:59

Hi Clive, you could try Church Green? They maybe taking patients. If not, you could self-refer to Guys Dental Hospital in London. I appreciate that travelling to London to get your teeth checked is not ideal but they are really brilliant and very thorough.

catherine searby
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 18:49

I was at Buttercross last week and they told me that they are not taking on any new NHS patients at the moment. 

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 17:36

Thank you, Valerie.  I will try Buttercross, though I'd prefer not having to wait six months for a simple check-up.  Still, as you suggest, they would be useful for emergencies.

Valerie Stewart
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 17:25

I believe that Buttercross Practice in Witney is taking new NHS patients, although they're pretty oversubscribed - can't give me a regular check-up until October but do keep space in the diary for emergencies.   

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 17:18

I have been going to Chipping Norton Dental Practice as an NHS patient for many years. I had no problems with my teeth, so didn’t make an appointment, then, when Covid struck, I was unwilling to go by bus to Chipping Norton (I don’t drive). Last week I tried to make an appointment, but they say that their policy is to take people off their register if they have not made an appointment in the last two years. This had never been mentioned to me before.

So, if you are an NHS dental patient, make sure your check-ups are no longer than two years apart, or they may simply take you off their register. And finding another NHS dentist is not easy!

And if anyone does know of a local NHS dentist taking on new patients, please let me know.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.