Bluebells

Brian Murray
👍 3

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 09:41

Glad to see others agreeing with the wise and friendly advice given  by Tony.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Mon 25 Apr 2022, 15:58

I agree. Spanish bluebells are really bad news.

Robin Taylor
👍 5

Mon 25 Apr 2022, 14:10

You also need to be aware whether you’re getting Spanish bluebells, which are often sold in garden centres, or the native English. We moved into our current house and discovered it was full of Spanish. They are less attractive than the native, and I’ve been waging a 10 yr war on them, to stop them cross breeding with the native English ones in the woodland next door. As Tony says, they seed everywhere, hiding amongst other plants, then in their second year, they put down a long tough root and form the bulb at the bottom of  it, and trying to dig them out usually results in the stalk breaking, leaving the bulb to flower again another year,

Jan Going
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 17:26

It depends how well you look after your garden!  There are many plants that spread.

Tony Lloyd
👍 2

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 17:08

I really would not recommend them, they will completely take over the garden and spread everywhere. They are then impossible to dig out.

Jan Going
👍

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 14:02

Does anyone have any bluebells they wish to donate?  My daughter is creating a garden from nothing.  Many thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.