Empty shop on Sheep St

Maureen Nash
👍 3

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 19:52

The shops that I miss the most are the late Jon Carpenter’s wonderful tiny bookshop with rapid ordering facility and 10% discount, the range of greeting cards from the post office (Tim’s are great but not always for specific occasions) and a florist in town. It’s not that long ago that we had two: might there be enough trade for walk in trade and ordering/delivery for events like weddings, funerals, Valentine’s Day etc? Maybe two or more could be combined in one space to create a viable business………..

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 4

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 13:18

Just to Clarify our appointment system at Cotswold frames, this is for picture framing only, we take appointments in the weekdays from 3pm onwards, the shop is open from 10am – 3pm and no appointment is needed.

By having a framing appointment, we will close the shop to everyone else, should there be no appointment then we will keep the shop open until the next booked appointment.

James Norris
👍 3

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 08:18 (last edited on Sat 23 Apr 2022, 08:22)

Unless you’re doing 90% online sales nationwide, it simply wouldn’t be sustainable in any way. Relying on walk-ins from a small town with limited retail/tourism (in comparison to a Woodstock, for example) to sell a product that will last a decade or more will see you quickly closing doors.

Things that would probably work (outside of what we have):

Hot desk office workspace as most people are now WFH at least 50%, may not have the funds/space for a bespoke home office and fed up working from kitchen table. (Which sounds like it might be)

Wedding planning/Cotswold event design space for people wanting the Cotswold experience (there’s probably significant competition)

Another Nursery - They’re over-subscribed and have huge waiting lists/can only accommodate certain days

Micro Brewery - again trading on general Cotswold theme. Probably double up as a coffee shop.

Restaurant/Bistro/Wine bar hybrid - we don’t have any evening options for dining, beyond a pub. Which is what is already happening with the old Post Office and it’s highly unlikely two would work.

Pretty much anything else would be a struggle for anything that relies on passing trade. I’m impressed Cotswold Frames manages it, but they are the opposite of walk-in, being by appointment. 

Kim Sale
👍

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 08:03

I would love to open such a shop and have talked about it with my children, however I think all profit would have to go into the rental of the premises making it totally unsustainable for me. I'll stick with my 'at home's workroom for now :-)

vicky burton
👍

Fri 22 Apr 2022, 21:37

A fabric shop with a fitting service for blinds and curtains, potentially upholstery. Yep I can imagine it would be sustainable in Charlbury.

James Norris
👍 1

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 17:00 (last edited on Thu 21 Apr 2022, 17:02)

You’d have to be absolutely bonkers to open a drapers or dress shop. How would it survive in Charlbury in the modern world of free returns?

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 16:53

So who is going to open a drapers or a dress shop? 

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 14:29

Why not aDrapers or a Dress shop. More interesting to look at it would save travelling to the nearest town. 

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 11:50

As I understand it, the old draper’s has had planning use as offices since the cafe closed over 20 years ago.

We should talk more about the importance of employment to the town, and full offices mean a stronger local economy.

James Norris
👍

Thu 21 Apr 2022, 03:13

On the corner of Bayliss Yard? Will be offices apparently, if the asbestos issue doesn’t change things.

Alex Michaels
👍

Wed 20 Apr 2022, 22:49

I've noticed recently builders doing what looks like refurbishment of the empty shop just up from The Three Horseshoes. Curious as to what is planned for it.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.