Covid booster and tests for the over 75s

Amanda Epps
👍 2

Mon 11 Apr 2022, 17:35

I have just had my booster in the Exeter Hall, Kidlington and it was a very different experience to Christine’s.  I arrived 15 minutes early, was seen straight away and was back in the car in 10 minutes.  No queuing.  The hall is an odd shape and most people had the vaccination down about four steps but there is one table on the same level that avoids the steps.

Meryl Smith
👍 4

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 13:52

Yes, ATIC (All Together In Charlbury) volunteers are available to help with transport to appointments, subject to having reasonable warning of date and time and having a volunteer free then.   

Passengers are asked to pay 45p per mile (there is a hardship fund available where help is needed with this cost).

To request help, phone our call-centre (Volunteer Link-Up) on 01993 776277 - Monday to Friday 9.00 to 1.00 with answerphone service at other times, which is regularly checked.  

Please give at least a couple of days' notice of a request, if you can - more notice than that is helpful.

We will see what we can do.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 13:46 (last edited on Fri 1 Apr 2022, 13:47)

Sites will come and go, depending on vaccine availability. I think Chippy was this weekend (Sunday?), but then there was a long gap.

I am sure Chippy will eventually come back online again, and also write to those registered with the practice. CMC will also no doubt eventually get some vaccine.

Otherwise try and get a time at the Kassam when a friend or family member or ATIC could take her. 

If you could get an early evening appointment, the queue at Kidlington might not be too bad. You would need to take a chair for your mother to sit on. And they may offer some times when carers and disabled people are better catered for. They do offer walk-in appointments, but when I was there most walk-ins were turned away because of the length of the queue.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 12:58

Using the NHS website link given, closest site was kidlington (which given Christine's post above doesn't sound at all good for my mother), but I'll see if phoning Chippy surgery gets a better response and if not I'll check whether ATIC can help

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 12:13

I think there used to be a local car service, for which one just paid mileage.  Can't remember the details now.  Perhaps ATIC can help?

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 12:12

Chipping Norton was on the list of available booster sites offered to me online last week. 

I did not pursue this as the first date was in April. 

Have they now changed their policy? 

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 12:03

As chippy don't seem to be doing boosters and I can't drive as far as Oxford for medical reasons does anyone have any idea how I get my mother her booster? Public transport isn't a possibility for her. 

Paul D Jackson
👍 1

Fri 1 Apr 2022, 09:15

It works!!! ........thank you Christine

Mary Heckman
👍 2

Thu 31 Mar 2022, 14:18

We had an email from the NHS to book our booster. Chose Kassam last Thursday and were in and out in 20 minutes. Absolutely brilliant.

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Thu 31 Mar 2022, 10:42

When the Government first announced that free LFT and PCR tests would be discontinued from April 1st, they said that tests would continue to be free for all those over 75. As far as I can see from the most recent government statements that is no longer the case: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-covid-19-testing-in-england-from-1-april

A booster vaccine has instead been offered to those over 75. But the booster is not yet available throughout the county, and Covid cases are still really high. CMC has yet to announce a Covid booster date, and Bampton (which is part of the same group as CMC) is saying they expect to start the boosters around 30/4/22. They also say "Please wait to be contacted by the practice to make your appointment."

Given the delay, over 75s and other eligible people could decide to book elsewhere in Oxfordshire: Chippy, Kidlington, Boots and the Kassam all had availability when I booked online last week. 

I opted for Kidlington (Exeter Hall). Parking was good & it's also easy to access by bus (S3 to Woodstock then no 7); despite being pre-booked, the wait was very long (nearly an hour), with very poor facilities for queuing for the disabled. There was no 15 minute wait at the end.

Despite the wait, I am really pleased to have this behind me. If booking online or by 119 there is no need to wait to be contacted. You ideally need your NHS number to book. The booking page is here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.