Ukrainian refugees looking for work

Gareth Epps
👍 4

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 17:58

I know better than to believe anything this lot says, Vicky.  People would do well to read the small print.

vicky burton
👍 2

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 17:51 (last edited on Fri 25 Mar 2022, 18:02)

Gareth,

I understand your confusion but the visa bit you quoted  is not the   "Homes for Ukraine scheme. 

It is at the bottom of the page under Other ways Ukrainians can work in the UK. 

Does that make sense now?

As for why it's written in that slightly befuddling way; I'll put that down to our wonderful super-organised, responsible and insightful government that have such a fantastic grip on every aspect of running a country! 

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 17:01

So why is it quoted in the Homes scheme, Vicky?

(Either way, it is an employer’s responsibility to ensure any employees have the right to work in the UK, and the point is that this Government has added lots of small print that ensures the ‘ability’ you quote is selective and qualified, not universal.  That is, for the minority of Ukrainians who actually qualify for the UK’s mean-spirited, narrow scheme and can negotiate the paperwork)

vicky burton
👍 1

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 16:19 (last edited on Fri 25 Mar 2022, 16:22)

Gareth, under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme " Individuals arriving under this scheme are able to live and work in the UK for up to three years and access healthcare, benefits, employment support, education and other support."  

It says so in the link you posted. 

"Ukrainian nationals can get visas to work and study in the UK through the points-based immigration system, such as via the Skilled Worker, Student or Graduate routes or the Health and Social Care Worker visa" That you quoted refers to other ways Ukrainians or EU members can work in the UK.

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 15:45

“Ukrainian nationals can get visas to work and study in the UK through the points-based immigration system, such as via the Skilled Worker, Student or Graduate routes or the Health and Social Care Worker visa”.

So as I said, the bars on work remains, except under the narrow and tightly controlled systems under which people can legally work in the UK.  Current law will fine employers £20,000 per employee who does not have this legal entitlement - something Hanney needs to know about.  It is dangerously misleading to suggest that Ukrainian refugees can freely work here for three years.

Source:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-information-for-ukrainians-in-the-uk-british-nationals-and-their-family-members/immigration-information-for-ukrainians-in-the-uk-british-nationals-and-their-family-members

Harriet Baldwin
👍 7

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 10:04

This is why they have visas, because they have to be differentiated from people with different coloured skin who are also fleeing war zones and may be looking for work. 

Carl A Perkins
👍 8

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 09:23

I think you'll find that under the Government scheme for Ukrainian refugees they can live and work in the UK for up to three years...

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 08:56

There is, unfortunately, a longstanding legal bar to refugees being allowed to work, illogical though it may seem.

The current Government has indicated it has no intention of changing that, and instead has increased the regime enforcing that law.

Hannen Beith
👍 4

Thu 24 Mar 2022, 19:57

I have been contacted by a professional acquaintance, who, in turn, has been contacted by a refugee organisation.  Sorry, I don't know which.

There are a group of Ukrainians looking for work in this area.  They are mainly highly qualified - to degree level or above, but happy to take menial jobs.

I'm told that their English is not great but they are willing to learn, and I'm sure that they will.  I understand that their accommodation is "sorted".

So if you know of any job vacancies, at all, please DM me here and I will feed back.  Thank you.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.