Charlbury Rubbish Friends

Flora Gregory
👍 3

Mon 26 Feb, 11:05 (last edited on Mon 26 Feb, 11:16)

We are picking the Fawler Road tomorrow, Tuesday 27 Feb 2-4 pm, meeting at the Southill Solar lay-by. If you'd like to join us contact me here, we always need help. The Fawler Road is a special case and always attracts a huge amount of rubbish.  

The solutions are clear.  Political action, in the end, is the answer, and all we are doing is keeping the rubbish at bay.  Verges are important wildlife corridors, key to supporting biodiversity,  and key to nature recovery. 

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far. The wild violets on Saturday were a real treat.

If you pass by, please slow down and give us a sign of support. 

Flora Gregory
👍

Sun 18 Feb, 11:55 (last edited on Sun 18 Feb, 11:56)

We have found the following on the Enstone and Woodstock Road verges:

Wallet, credit cards  and Waterstones Gift card for Doug/Douglas Parker

Cash card for Liam Medley

A pre paid Hays Travel currency card, can't read the name.

Contact me here.

David Green
👍 7

Sat 17 Feb, 14:16

Here is the link to Keep Charlbury Tidy for those who asked and pictures of todays pick. 
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556260978528

Good to see you all today. Well done Flora for organising! 

Flora Gregory
👍 3

Sat 17 Feb, 13:52

Thank you everyone who turned out to pick the Woodstock Road this morning ! 

Skylarks at full pelt and a beautiful brown hare.  

25 large bags of rubbish.

Our next pick is Tuesday 20 Feb 10-midday. Please contact me here for more details. 

Flora Gregory
👍 2

Thu 15 Feb, 17:40

A reminder that we are picking on verges this Saturday 17 Feb 10-midday outside the 30 mph signs on the outskirts of Charlbury.

We always need help, contact me here for more details if you'd like to join us.

If you pass us, please slow down and peep and say hello. 

Flora Gregory
👍 4

Mon 12 Feb, 13:25

Charlbury Rubbish Friends will be doing a session outside of the 30mph on the verges this Saturday 17 February 10-midday. You are very welcome to join us, we really need help please.  

There is a short window before vegetation grows, we will be picking  for the next 3-4 weeks. We are picking up 100 bags a year along 8 miles, on four roads in and out of Charlbury.

The problem isn't going away in a hurry, it's clear what needs to be done, and we need serious political action. Meanwhile we are just keeping the rubbish at bay so that Charlbury doesn't drown in it. 

Contact me here for more info. 

Flora Gregory
👍 2

Sun 11 Feb, 14:07 (last edited on Sun 11 Feb, 14:10)

Charlbury Rubbish Friends have started litter picking, beginning with the Enstone Road. The next session will be this Wednesday 14 February 10-12, weather permitting. If you'd like to join us please message me here for more information. 

The warmth of the sun on our backs and skylarks singing !   If you pass by please slow down and say hello. 

David Green
👍 5

Sat 10 Feb, 16:00

Good luck tomorrow to the group litter picking. This is stewardship at its best and will make such a huge difference. 

David Green
👍 1

Sun 21 Jan, 10:00

Just seen this. Count us in.

Flora Gregory
👍

Fri 19 Jan, 09:11

The picking sessions will be at different times on different days...please contact me here if you're interested in joining. 

John Partington
👍 3

Thu 18 Jan, 17:52 (last edited on Thu 18 Jan, 19:07)

This is so good, Flora (and others)! Do please have some sessions not on Sundays, so that churchgoers like me can more easily join in!

Flora Gregory
👍 7

Thu 18 Jan, 13:53

Charlbury Rubbish Friends are planning to start picking the verges outside of the 30 mph speed limit on the roads in and out of Charlbury, the first session is Sunday 11 February 10am-midday (depending on the weather). We expect to be picking the verges for about 6 weeks before the vegetation grows. 

If you would like to join us, message me here for details.  If you pass us give us a beep and say hello ! Thank you.

Flora Gregory
👍

Sat 4 Mar 2023, 12:58

We are picking the Fawler Road tomorrow 10-12, meeting at the lay-by. If you'd like to join us contact me. If you drive that way please do say hello or give us a peep. There is room for table and chairs at the lay-by if you'd like to bring us coffee :-) 

Flora Gregory
👍 3

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 17:05 (last edited on Mon 27 Feb 2023, 19:12)

Thank you pickers for your help this morning. We collected another 10 bags of rubbish along the Enstone Road (taking the total so far this year to 50  bags). Six bags were recyclables (cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles). One pair of men's designer briefs. And a fiver !  The song  of the chiffchaff accompanied us. 

Our next pick will be on the Woodstock Road on Sunday morning 5 March. If you'd like to join us let me know, and I will advise.  If you're not joining us,  if you drive by, please do say hello. Coffee and croissants would be welcome. 

The window for picking is short,  it's now,  best done before the vegetation gets going. The hedges are health and safety heroes preventing so much rubbish getting into the fields and being ploughed into the crops. Our verges and hedges play a key role in nature recovery, they are important wildlife corridors, and home to half of our wildflower species.  

Peter Bennett
👍 9

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 19:59

We collected 20 bags of rubbish this morning from a stretch of Enstone Road. Many hands made for lighter work, but we can still do with more pickers. Come along to the triangle at Dyers Hill next Friday the 17th, at 10, and join our merry gang and share in the  satisfaction of tidying the approaches to our town.

John Werner
👍 7

Fri 10 Feb 2023, 00:24

Huge respect🤘

Flora Gregory
👍 13

Thu 9 Feb 2023, 20:05

The skylarks are singing !

Charlbury Rubbish Friends start picking rubbish on the Enstone Road verges this Sunday 12th Feb 10-12 am.  If you pass us, please drive slowly,  perhaps peep and give us a wave. 

We have been picking the rubbish that accumulates on 8 miles of road verges in and out of Charlbury for the last 2 years. 100-150 bags each year, about 15 bags per mile, half is recyclable. 

If you 'd like to join us contact me, thanks.

K Harper
👍 4

Wed 6 Apr 2022, 17:34

Well done! Charlbury Wombles 👏🙏🏻 Kris

Peter Bennett
👍 5

Wed 6 Apr 2022, 17:13

Yesterday Flora and I gathered SIX bags of rubbish between us, just from the Fawler Road verges between Fiveways and the solar farm layby. Loads of bottles and cans among other detritus - even a Land Rover steering wheel! Do contact Flora if you'd like to join the team.

Flora Gregory
👍 3

Sat 2 Apr 2022, 10:06

Sunday 3 April 9.30-11.00  

We are litter picking Dyers Hill/Forest Road if anyone would like to spend a lovely Spring Sunday morning in good company doing a gentle community work out. Meeting at station roundabout.

40 bags of litter from the Enstone Road and 15 from Fawler Road so far. Half of the rubbish is recyclable. 

You need to be over 18, wear stout boots, gloves, hi viz jacket if you have one, we can provide bags and litter pickers. Our focus is outside the 30 mph signs. At your own risk as the traffic uses the country roads like motorways. 

Give us a peep if you see us, or even better - bring coffee and cake :-)

Let me know if you'd like to join us. 

Flora Gregory
👍 4

Fri 25 Mar 2022, 13:15

Thank you to everyone who gave us a friendly peep peep today as we worked our way along the long up-down stretch of the Enstone Road, which is a bit like a motorway.

There, of an evening, you might see a barn owl hunting. 

More sky larks this morning. So many wood anemones. A hare. 

One more session on Enstone Road,  and we'll move onto the Fawler Road if you'd like to join us there ?

Flora Gregory
👍 5

Thu 24 Mar 2022, 11:25

Also please write to our MP !  

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/24/no-bottle-deposit-return-scheme-for-most-of-uk-until-2024-at-earliest

A deposit return scheme for bottles and cans might make a difference. Why throw it when you can money back ?

50% of rubbish in our verges is recyclable.

Our rivers are full of sewage, our verges are becoming rubbish tips. 

Peter Bennett
👍 4

Thu 24 Mar 2022, 11:13

This really is a worthwhile community thing to do. I joined the pickers on Enstone Road yesterday, out in the brilliant sunshine exercising while doing something useful. And I found a fiver, so the streets around Charlbury really are (almost) paved with gold! Come and join our friendly bunch - contact Flora for dates and times.

Flora Gregory
👍 4

Fri 18 Mar 2022, 13:44 (last edited on Fri 18 Mar 2022, 13:45)

The skylarks were singing full pelt this morning and the violets are a joy to behold.

Charlbury Rubbish Friends is an informal group that litter picks the verges outside of the 30 mph signs on the roads in and out of Charlbury in the early Spring - now. You are welcome to join us, obviously at your own risk.  Last year we collected 150 black bags worth of detritus. The real heroes are our hedges that defend the fields so that all the rubbish doesn't end up being ploughed into the soil and contribute to us all becoming more plastic than we already are.

You will need hi viz jacket, gloves, stout boots, bags for rubbish, litter pick sticks and a happy heart. 

Contact me if you'd like to join us. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.