What about deeding Bumblebees sugar solution?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 21:03

I had neglected to look in the front garden as Janet pointed out when she came back in to the house from hedge pruning … there is a lot of Blackthorn and things out on that side! And pollen- protein and lipids for the little‘uns  - Doh! Of course they’ll be wanting to get the workforce raised soonest. 

John Dora
👍 1

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 19:57

Bees buzzing busily around my Cherry - fabulous sight.

Claire Wilding
👍 1

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 18:46

Send them my way! My cherry tree has just started blossoming and we have crocuses out. 

G Clarke
👍 1

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 17:13

There are flowers around, e.g. wych hazel, cherry plum, crocus, grape hyacinth, etc. etc. They are as much on the hunt for tree pollen as for nectar - and there is plenty of tree pollen around (for confirmation just check a local pollen counter, or anybody with allergies to it can tell you!).

You shouldn’t feed a bumblebee unless it seems on the brink of death: https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/bee-faqs/should-i-feed-bumblebees-sugar-water/

Janet Sly
👍

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 15:57

And its in my wife’s logon on the tablet not mine so now she’ll be annoyed…

Janet Sly
👍

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 15:54 (last edited on Sun 13 Mar 2022, 15:55)

I’ve seen a clutch of very big bumblebees in the back garden just now but there are no flowers. Should I put a shallow saucer or yoghurt pot top with a white or brown sugar solution out for them before dark or is this artificial forage not a good idea?

Unfortunately the edit does not seem to be able to edit typos in the title! Can this be changed?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.