No consular office in Calais for refugees.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 11:41

…as for Patel’s “generous  and unprecedented package of reforms” - not true …. and as for “Ukranians feeling Putin's war of aggression”…. ‘suffering the physical and psychological effects, while citizens are being killed in the streets’ might go some way towards expressing the realities..

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 09:25

Mr Robert Courts MP sent me an answer to our questions about Ukraine - sent from a petition - and this paragraph really stood out:

“With regard to refugees, the UK will of course step up – as indeed we always have done – to support those fleeing in fear of their lives. The Home Secretary has announced a generous and unprecedented package of reforms to our immigration system to support Ukrainians feeling Putin’s war of aggression.”

He also stated that “Putin has to go.”

Rod Evans
👍 2

Thu 10 Mar 2022, 13:22

Unlike Iraq and WMD, western intelligence got it right in predicting Putin's intentions.  So we are entitled to ask, why was our (insert adjectives of your choice - am trying to avoid being cast out to Debate!) government apparently so unprepared for the entirely predictable rush of people seeking refuge here?  And why are they making it so difficult?

Over to you, Mr Courts....

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 18:36 (last edited on Wed 9 Mar 2022, 18:37)

Sue, you'll find details on our very own forum (the debate section!) Header "Maybe time for a re-think?"

Sue Way
👍 2

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 18:23

Charlie, thank you for highlighting Robert Courts’ Russian funder. 

I had no idea that our MP had been accepting Russian donations. How sickening it all looks now. 

Here’s a link to an Oxford Mail article about the donation:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18605925.witney-mp-robert-courts-received-donation-russia-linked-backer/

Charlie M
👍 4

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 12:48 (last edited on Wed 9 Mar 2022, 12:50)

This is an (edited) version of a long email that I sent to West Oxon Cons Chairman McDowell and copied to Courts. Both have read it; neither have replied. I think that says it all ...

"Subject: West Oxfordshire Cons financed by Putin's People
Dear Mr McDowell,
Are you and your party - and your government, come to that - not *thoroughly* ashamed that you are financed by the wife of the former finance minister to the fascist Putin?
Is this perhaps why your government has done SO little to support the Ukrainian refugees.
Let me tell you, Sir, that my own family feels *defiled* by Putin's invasion of Ukraine; my Great Great Great Uncle fell at the Battle of The Alma, on 20th September 1854, and lies with the heroic dead in The Crimea.
I *demand* that your party send the money donated by Cherukhin to one of the fine charities organising help for Ukrainian refugees, and that you accept no more tainted money.
One more thing. My father, a Conservative throughout his life, had to deal with strong fascist influences in the North Hampshire Constituency Conservative Party, Lord Lymington being but one example. And the MP in the 1950's, Patrick Donner, was selected by a panel of which one of the members was the fascist and wartime internee Oswald Mosley, so I know a bit about what I am talking about. It is very sad indeed to see today's Tories flirting with fascism and fascists as they did seventy years ago.I await your reply with interest."

If this is too "political" for here, please just delete my post, rather than moving the whole caboodle into the "Debate" page. Thanks.

Valerie Stewart
👍 9

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 09:43 (last edited on Wed 9 Mar 2022, 09:43)

I got the same snow-job after emailing him.  I asked two things: that he remind the Home Secretary that she is the child of immigrants, and that he remind everyone that refugees will join the workforce and it's their taxes that help pay our pensions. 

I've worked on two long and thorough reforms of Westminster-style public services.  I have difficulty understanding how someone goes home at the end of the day and tells their family that they stopped several desperate people from seeking sanctuary, or deported some elderly West Indians to a country they've never seen.  It says volumes about the management.  

Harriet Baldwin
👍 5

Wed 9 Mar 2022, 07:17

Since Robert Courts received money from Russians he's not going to do anything (eg helping Ukrainians) to jeopardise that is he?

Sue Way
👍 13

Tue 8 Mar 2022, 22:39

If you’re hoping for some compassion, I think you’re looking in the wrong place.

Russell Ingham
👍 4

Tue 8 Mar 2022, 19:14

So have I and I received a long, clearly pre-written diatribe that totally failed to respond to my point. 

Jean Adams
👍 10

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 17:42

I have emailed Robert Courts, urging the Government to provide facilities.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.