Yet another scam!

John Kearsey
👍 1

Mon 3 Apr 2023, 11:20

As I rarely get calls on my landline, I always answer it pretending to be an answering machine. You will soon find out if it's someone you know.

Katie Ewer
👍 4

Mon 3 Apr 2023, 10:12

Alex, easier said than done, because both the doctor's surgery and my kids school call from witheld numbers, so I have to accept all the unwanted calls in case it's genuine. :( It's very difficult to call the GP back if you miss a call from them.

Alex Flynn
👍 2

Sun 2 Apr 2023, 17:36 (last edited on Sun 2 Apr 2023, 20:57)

My advice is not to take incoming calls from withheld numbers unless you are expecting one. And even then exercise caution (if possible verify who you are speaking to as they probably would if you called them). If it is important enough they will leave a message. And if it is a number you don't recognise it's probably best to Google it first. 

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 1

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 11:44

This morning, delivery scam texting phones ( and Charlbury landlines ). Block and delete call and texts from number 07378905498 and do not click on the link in the text.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Tue 8 Mar 2022, 10:35

If you have a BT landline phone and also have 1572 Call Protect, you can block individual numbers, even when the number has been withheld. It usually also works if the scam number is an overseas number. 

It seems to work more efficiently than the numbers that I block on my Panasonic handsets. But there is an upper limit of blocked numbers, so it is necessary to delete some of the BT history from time to time (easiest done online).

I also use Who called me? ...https://who-called.co.uk to find and share information about callers who use fake (or indeed real) phone numbers. Extremely useful.

Simon Walker
👍 1

Tue 8 Mar 2022, 10:10

You can still report it to the ICO even if the number was withheld.  In fact, most of the numbers that these 'entrepreneurs' use are fake anyway, or at least untraceable in this country, but the more reports that the ICO receives, the better chance they have of nailing some of the perps .... eventually.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 8 Mar 2022, 09:10

Not easy to do that Simon if the caller withheld their number.

Simon Walker
👍 1

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 19:17

The main place to log unwanted calls is on the website for the Information Commissioner's Office (ico.org.uk)

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 17:35

You can check suspect calls and report them on: https://scam-numbers.co.uk/

I have been getting a scam from 01273 031838. I didn’t answer it. The number did turn up on a list reported by others via the above link, so it does seem to be genuine.

Andrew Greenfield
👍 1

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 17:16

Yes, I had a very similar call this afternoon, number withheld.

The friendly sounding caller told me he was phoning from the police fraud squad (definitely not!!) and suggested that my card had also been used, or there was an attempt to use it in Argos.

He assured me I had none nothing wrong and was just phoning to inform me. He already had my address, just like Anthony, but nothing more and I knew straight away that this was a call trying to get more information.

I think my total lack of interest in what he was saying and because I didn't even confirm my address with him that he decided that I was not worth bothering and he immediately rang off.

Anthony Horn
👍 1

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 16:29

Just taken a call from someone claiming to be a London Police Officer, saying my wife's card had been used by another person i London. He was aware of our address and postcode but when asked who was our local bobby, and police station, he said it was Valley, no other details, then he hung up! So beware!!!!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.