URGENT UkRAINE DONATIONS TODAY

vicky burton
👍

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 13:14

Has anyone got any night vision devices, IFAC First Aid boxes

or Binoculars to donate? Ukrainian nationals ARE being let out through UK customs for non-invoiced goods! Thank you in advance to anyone who helps. Please don't post anything negative it's not helpful.

vicky burton
👍

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 15:41

Understood G Clarke. Dawn's collection has already gone off with Ukrainian nationals I believe. 

As for "Turn your efforts to helping people within Europe to supply the humanitarian aid needed." I agree, so how about a Charlbury fundraiser?

G Clarke
👍

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 15:14 (last edited on Sun 6 Mar 2022, 15:15)

Posting just now from a courier (@vanmaneuro on Twitter) who crosses the UK border to Europe all the time: “Vans are now being turned away at dover docks carrying aid for minimal value on commercial invoices - by the BRITS - not the french . They are enforcing the law 101% on humanitarian aid. Miffed and dumbfounded is an understatement.” Another person, in response to that posting said “A friend has just come back with his van full. When he remonstrated with the border people he was threatened with arrest and told to give it to a British charity!”.

Turn your efforts to helping people within Europe to supply the humanitarian aid needed. The border restrictions  imposed by Brexit mean that, as a third country, individual UK citizens and groups cannot even supply humanitarian aid.

vicky burton
👍 3

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 14:04 (last edited on Sun 6 Mar 2022, 14:23)

As you all know; I'm not a wordsmith but I will try to explain this as best as I can. Some people either don't have money to donate or feel that that they want to do more. Anything. However small. That is not to say that money to the big charities is not the right thing to do. It is! But there are Ukrainians living in the UK that want to return to Ukraine with medical equipment etc. and they are going in small vehicles, taking various routes across europe. I'm sure you are all capable of understanding the rationale... Some people may also not trust that their cash will be used exactly where necessary. It's also important to some people in times of crisis to participate in something positive. Eg. marathons, coffee mornings, protesting... I ask again: Is CRAG going to organise a fundraiser?

Rod Evans
👍 5

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 11:32

The Disasters Emergency Committee is urging people to donate money, not goods - transport, logistical difficulties, unsuitability etc.  In other words, however well intentioned, support people who (should) know what they're doing to support those in need.  We're all at sea here, but makes sense to me.

vicky burton
👍

Sat 5 Mar 2022, 13:13

Thank you everyone who has contributed. Dawn has nearly filled her car and has arranged to take the much needed supplies to Chipping Norton.

vicky burton
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:57 (last edited on Fri 4 Mar 2022, 11:37)

I've just seen Felicity Brookes thread, thank you. I've just spoken to Dawn, she will be storing the donated items  until the next appeal. Thank you very much to all those who have already been round to 10 Woodfield Drive with supplies. There are so many kind  & decent people here that want to do everything they possibly can to help. PLEASE CONTINUE TO BRING YOUR DONATIONS. CORNBURY PARK COLLECTION WILL BE ON-GOING TOO. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:44

This is not to go against what Vicky (or indeed Gareth) said, but this is the most recent story in the Banbury Guardian: https://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/people/ukraine-appeal-banbury-pulls-together-with-polish-community-to-collect-items-to-help-desperate-ukrainian-refugees-arriving-in-their-country-3589406

It lists the various collection points.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:41

TBH I think the issue with sending items is lack of storage space. I know a Ukrainian locally who's set up an appeal, they've already sent out 2 20 tonne lorries and now have nowhere to store what they've been sent. Plus people are using it as an excuse to dump things like unwashed baby clothes. 

vicky burton
👍 1

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:34

Thank you for your helpful comments but I said I would help Dawn and she appeared to know what she was talking about!She said that it was the old Wigwell site in Chipping Norton and that she would like a car load by 4pm today. I have already asked the very helpful estates team at Cornbury Park to email all businesses on the estate. Yes, I'm sure everyone is sending as much cash as they can and that is fantastic. 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:27

My Ukrainian friends in Reading posted this morning:

CASH DONATIONS OVER BUYING AND SENDING GOODS TO UKRAINE

If you would like to help the humanitarian effort in Ukraine and neighbouring countries, the best option is to donate money to the British Red Cross and others.

They know exactly what's needed on the ground, where to ship it, and can order and ship items in bulk. This means people in need receive aid quicker.

So before you spend your money on goods to donate, please consider making a cash donation instead. No matter how small, it will make a difference.

If you have goods to donate, why not organise a jumble sale at work, school or neighbourhood and donate the proceeds.

Thank you!

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:24 (last edited on Fri 4 Mar 2022, 10:35)

I think that must probably relate to my post of yesterday, about lorries organised to go the Ukraine by the Banbury Polish Community. (See the thread "So what are we doing for Ukraine?", 11.41)

I see from the Banbury Polish Group's website page that the collection point at Longford Community Centre is now closed (very many donations!), but other drop off points are remaining open until 9 March. It looks as if they now have enough volunteer drivers, by the way.

Their facebook page is here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/banburyforukraine

The picture of what is needed is here://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10224543600035772&set=pcb.805184343732051

vicky burton
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 09:54

Dawn Kelly has just knocked on my door about a post on this forum that she thought I had started about a lorry of humanitarian supplies leaving for Poland this afternoon. I can't see anything about this on the forum?? Anyway, she has asked me to tell everyone that she will be going to Chipping Norton this afternoon. Can people please drop off the following items at 10 Woodfield Drive Charlbury: Pain killers, sanitary supplies, baby clothes, formula milk  Please spread the word on this, I'm sure all businesses in the area probably have out of date dressing in their first aid kits...  If anyone on here works at Cornbury park, there's a drop-off  point of first aid supplies outside southill barn.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.