BBC Repeats

Rachel Mary Gallagher
👍 2

Mon 7 Mar 2022, 18:46

The pandemic forced the BBC to dip into it's archives to create programmes featuring some singing stars and looking back at their past performances on the BBC.  I'm really enjoying those.

vicky burton
👍 2

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 20:11

Sorry here's the link : https://www.listening-books.org.uk/

K Harper
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 18:37 (last edited on Fri 4 Mar 2022, 21:15)

Vicky, pls can you check this link? Didn’t work for me. Kris

vicky burton
👍

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 17:49

May I also recommend audio books? listeningbooks.org is great. Something to suit everyone Jean.

Christine Battersby
👍 5

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 11:07

There's no licence fee needed to listen to BBC Radio, and it is superb -- whatever else is on (or not) on BBC TV.

In January the Government cut funding to the BBC by ordering a two-year freeze on the fee that people pay to watch the broadcaster. (Reuter's Report) The BBC had also previously had its funding cut after having been required to fund any free licences for those aged 75+ from its own coffers, rather than as a welfare benefit. Free TV licences had previously available to anyone aged over 75, but free licences had previously been funded out of general taxation. 

Set against an inflation rate expected to reach a 30-year high of 6% or more in April, freezing the licence cost at its current £159 is inevitably going to mean more repeats. I particularly regret the fact that BBC4 will now just be repeats and legacy programmes. 

I mostly watch BBC via i-player these days, to get round the problem of repeats. And the news and documentary programmes continue to be new and well worthwhile.

Birgit den Outer
👍 8

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 09:52

Hi Jean, this is a selection of new drama programmes I enjoyed recently or that I am watching now (and that you might like?): The Responder, Peaky Blinders, This is Going to Hurt, Louis Theroux: Forbidden America, Cheaters, Killing Eve, Chloe, Four Lives, The Tourist, A Very British Scandal. Very much looking forward the new series of Happy Valleys (even though it won't be happy). But if my license fee was for BBC radio programmes only (news, comedy, plays, Woman's Hour, Desert Island Discs), I'd be happy with that too. And as Matthew says, the BBC reaches where others don't.  

Valerie Stewart
👍 3

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 09:07

My housebound neighbour is pretty fed-up with even more repeats on the commercial channels; it's not just the BBC,  All programme-makers have had to make serious adjustments because of the pandemic. Yea to the BBC as the 'soft power' that we still have and others can only aspire to.  

Matthew Greenfield
👍 7

Fri 4 Mar 2022, 08:42

Worth every penny:

BBC revives shortwave radio dispatches in Ukraine, and draws ire of Russia.

John Land
👍 1

Thu 3 Mar 2022, 22:47

Just photo copy your license and then you can see the repeats!

JML

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Thu 3 Mar 2022, 20:10 (last edited on Thu 3 Mar 2022, 20:27)

The news, starring Clive Myrie and Lyse Doucet, is new every day. Also, I can highly recommend the recent "This Is Going to Hurt" which is now available on iPlayer.

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 3 Mar 2022, 17:30

I watch a lot of BBC 1 and 2 and every day the programmes are repeats.

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 3 Mar 2022, 17:15

Every day. When is the BBC going to produce new programmes. What are we paying for ? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.