Neonicotinoid -Thiamethoxam

Amanda Epps
👍

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 22:33 (last edited on Sun 6 Mar 2022, 22:34)

Just signed, Frances, number 6791.

Alice Brander
👍

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 21:22

I’ve just signed.  I was number 6,787.  I suppose people are distracted but what is more important than being able to feed us all.

Lesley Algar
👍

Sun 6 Mar 2022, 09:19

Thanks Frances, I have signed the petition.

Frances Mortimer
👍 1

Sat 5 Mar 2022, 16:17

There is a petition against the neonicotinoid decision here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/606788 

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 3 Mar 2022, 10:09

It happened on 14 January. Info here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2022-02-02.116931.h&s=rural

Note this is information put out by Victoria Prentis who is potentially our MP if Charlbury moves into the Banbury constituency and the Conservatives are successful in Banbury. Also info on the British Sugar web page.

It's for emergency use only and applies only to sugar beet crops. It's not a spray, but for seeds treated with neonicotinoids. The treated seeds are allowed if in March of any given year there is a prediction of a 19% Virus Yellows infection across the national sugar beet crop. The use was triggered on March 1st.

No flowering crop can be planted for 32 months following the planting of the treated sugar beet seeds. The danger to bees comes from flowering crops in the field, as well as from flowers at the field margins since contaminated soil is only gradually normalised.

This means that if you live very near a sugar beet crop, it's advisable to NOT follow Jim Holah's advice and go for more bee friendly  planting. It will be different, of course, away from the sugar beet fields -- where bees should be made most welcome.

Lesley Algar
👍

Thu 3 Mar 2022, 08:56

Thats very sad. When did the government sneak that one through? There are still a lot of sprays for killing aphids on roses that are not only bad for bees but ladybirds.

Jim Holah
👍 4

Wed 2 Mar 2022, 09:10

That's bad news so we have to retaliate with more bee friendly planting in our gardens & on our allotments.

Alice Brander
👍

Wed 2 Mar 2022, 09:05

In the bonfire of protective regulations this harmful chemical is now licensed for use in the UK.  No fly zones needed for bees?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.