Planning Applications

Roger Clarke
👍 4

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 10:34

Planning permission is needed where a fence, including trellis has a height exceeding 2 metres (6.56 feet) above ground level. Fences adjacent to a highway used by vehicles and pedestrians on the footpath must not exceed 1 metre (3.28 feet). This is current planning law irrespective of Conservation area requirements. There is one area in Charlbury where permitted development rights were witheld by WODC when consent was given to build.  This is Ticknell Piece Road.

James Norris
👍 1

Wed 23 Feb 2022, 04:13

A handy series of “storms” can always help the bigger than baked bean tree situation. I guess one could try blame Eunace for forming a double storey pile of bricks too.

Steve Jones
👍

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 20:12

The advice I've always seen with permitted developments in a conservation is check with your local council to see if planning permission is required as there can be special rules. Also, if a building is listed then that brings a whole series of other issues.

Another point about the conservation area is that any tree with a diameter of a baked bean can at head height (roughly speaking) is automatically subject to TPO rules and, theoretically at least, requires planning permission before even the lightest bit of pruning unless it's to deal with something like decayed wood or a dangerous tree. That might be a bit of overkill for an old apple tree past its best...

Rod Evans
👍 2

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 14:48

Thanks Andrew, how nice to be needed - if only for such arcane reasons!  I can't give advice any more but as far as I know there is no Article 4 Direction withdrawing PD rights in Charlbury - the Conservation Area after all is very widely drawn and apart from the work done for the Neighbourhood Plan, WODC have never done a full CA Appraisal (as they're supposed to).  That means some things are still permitted under the General Permitted Development Order (as they would be outside the CA) but not all and it differs again for Listed Buildings.  Sorry, not much help but there is plenty of guidance available online - try also the Planning Portal and advice for householders.  The WO planning officers should be able to advise too but may be too stretched these days.

Andrew Chapman
👍 2

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 12:48

There are some PDs allowed even in conservation areas, unless an Article 4 direction has been applied (which it hasn't in Charlbury, I think). Last year I found this fairly useful summary of the differences in conservation areas. Though I think the trellis one needs permission because the house is a listed building. We need Rod Evans to join this thread!

James Norris
👍

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 11:42

That’s a Permitted Development, Christine. Would have thought the don’t apply in AONB, but a couple of feet of trellis? Ridiculous.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 11:16

But apparently no planning permission needed for a smallish single storey extension to the rear of a house, as long as it does not protude to the side. So inconsistent. Very bizarre. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 11:13

Charlbury is a Conservation Area so the rules on requiring planning permission for fences are stricter.

James Norris
👍

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:37

I really wouldn’t have thought so, hence the surprise at an application for something so trivial.

Julia Webb
👍

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 09:59

Does one need planning to install an EV charger?

James Norris
👍

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 09:53 (last edited on Tue 22 Feb 2022, 09:54)

Just having a glance at the current planning applications and both seems incredibly minor jobs that I’d have thought do not require planning in any way.

1. Add a bit more trellis to a fence

2. Fence off a parking space and add an electric charging point

These seem like a couple of hours on a weekend jobs, why do they require council approval?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.