Access to green spaces

Alison Collins
👍

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 13:25

It would be particularly nice to get to the river without loose gravel, locked gates or kissing gates or styles. Gravel is no good for propelling a manual, electric wheelchair or mobility scooter and I don't know how people can push one either! The Jubilee bridge wouldn't be accessible either, even if you could get to it, as the concrete has all failed on the approach and is very uneven. I am not sure if this is too narrow either? It would be nice to be able to do the round trip back down Watery Lane, or vice versa.

The path at the side of Nine Acres from the community centre giving access to Nine Acres Lane could be improved. No gates or gravel, please! Therefore safer/better access to the cemetery and nine acres recreation ground would be improved. At the moment tree roots stick out making it very uneven and it can also be muddy. Also, as Leah suggests, the gate at the top of Enstone Road into nine acres and the ramp by the surgery where the concrete has all failed. Keeping the grass short also helps wheelchairs/pushchairs.

It would be nice to wheel up to The Old shed too avoiding the main road, if possible, as other people can walk there? Perhaps this doesn't meet the criteria though?

Any access to green areas would be appreciated. I'm happy to accompany someone in my wheelchair to highlight the difficulties, if that would be helpful?

Claire Wilding
👍 1

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 12:36 (last edited on Thu 10 Feb 2022, 12:36)

Thanks for the suggestions so far, the particular grant we are thinking about can support access to green spaces but not access elsewhere in the town. However the Town Council is also planning work to promote active travel so that will be an opportunity to think about other improvements that could be made. 

Rod Evans
👍 4

Wed 9 Feb 2022, 22:41

Alan, I was merely - well, mostly - trying to explain the status of Mill Lane as there appeared to be some confusion about it.  And offering to help with the problem you raised.  And drawing attention to a wider mobility issue in the town.  Not sure what I've done wrong there tbh!

Leah Fowler
👍 3

Wed 9 Feb 2022, 18:01

What is the point of the lovely gates if they are always locked 

Jim Holah
👍 1

Wed 9 Feb 2022, 17:48

Agreed, a new access point directly opposite the top of the zigzag path would be beneficial, as would a new access downhill from the stone stile at the Enstone crossroads.  I suggest new access points so that we can retain the characterful metal gates / stone stiles that give the town its unique feel.  The problem with the access opposite the scout hut is the muddy slope that's then faced to get up to the pitch level.  Maybe improving the pathway surface ( & keeping overgrowth cut back), up to the new social club path as thats more level to the playground, with a new path already provided by the Social Club.  The other location to consider is the metal kissing gate near the Bowls Club leading on to the edge of Ticknell Piece leading down to Ticknell Lane.  This is a good initiative by the TC, benefitting anyone with mobility challenges, with child buggies, dogs or lots of young children.  Thanks

Alan Cobb
👍

Wed 9 Feb 2022, 17:11

Rod - I thought the whole point of this thread was to give suggestions to the Town Council so they can apply for money to improve disabled access to green spaces. 

I agree with Leah regarding the access onto Nine Acres.  Since the concrete zig-zag ramp has been put in opposite the scout hut, it would be very beneficial to have the gate wide enough for a wheel chair.

Rod Evans
👍 5

Wed 9 Feb 2022, 12:00 (last edited on Wed 9 Feb 2022, 15:31)

Ah - Mill Lane.  Owned I believe by the Town Council, not the Highways Authority / County Council but is not an 'adopted road'.  It is not even shown on the 1:16000 OS map as a public footpath but of course has been used as such probably since 'time immemorial'.

Residents on the lane have the right to use it 'for all purposes' but subject to 'payment of a fair proprtion of the expenses of maintaining' it.  I have no idea when any public body last did anything to maintain it, certainly not in my time here.  But because it's on a slope at the bottom of the hill, it can get very muddy / slippery which is why some of us put gravel down occasionally - which soon gets compacted.  Sorry if that causes a problem for some - we might be able to help - how wide apart are the wheels on a wheelchair? 

I know this thread is focussed on green spaces but a point I've raised before, having helped someone once to get around the town in a wheelchair, is how difficult that is with the current state of the pavements and kerbs etc.  That might be something for the TC to take up - but I know, there's no money....

Leah Fowler
👍 2

Wed 9 Feb 2022, 09:29

It would be helpful if the entrance to Nine Acres at the top of Enstone road was accessible,  also the gate into Nine Acres  opposite the Scout Hut 

Angus B
👍 1

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 23:15

Isn’t Mill Lane a private road so the local authority wouldn’t  surface it anyway?

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 07:44 (last edited on Tue 8 Feb 2022, 07:45)

Mill Lane doesn't flood Rachel,  you are getting your paths confused 

Rachael Lunney
👍

Tue 8 Feb 2022, 05:39

Down mill lane is also flood. A paved surface wont last long.

Alan Cobb
👍 1

Mon 7 Feb 2022, 18:49

A paved surface on Mill Lane and a gate wide enough for wheelchairs would be of benefit.  The gravel surface of part of Mill Lane makes pushing a wheelchair along it near impossible.

Claire Wilding
👍 2

Sun 6 Feb 2022, 14:21

The Town Council is considering applying for grant funding to improve access to some of our green spaces. Some of the existing entrances can be difficult or impossible to use if you have a pushchair, wheelchair, mobility scooter or walking frame. We would like to hear views on which entrances are most important to make more accessible. You can add your views here or send your thoughts to the town clerk: charlburytownclerk@gmail.com

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.