Advice from cognoscenti: where to buy a MacBook laptop?

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Fri 11 Feb 2022, 21:32

MacBooks haven't had CD or DVD slots for ages. The new ones don't even have normal usb ports - they have usb-C ports. I must admit that they are easier to get the cable in without first trying it 3 times different ways, but it's also typical of Apple's arrogance that they decide they can get away without usb when every other device in the world uses them... some simple adapters do the trick though. Similarly new iPhones don't have a headphone socket, presumably because Apple want you to buy their massively un-environmentally friendly airpods.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 11 Feb 2022, 20:53

Now that you mentioned that I did hear that about Hackentosh. Wondering what the difference could be?

Charlie M
👍 1

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 21:14

The term that I am familiar with is "Hackintosh". I've never heard the term “Mackenstein”.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 20:45 (last edited on Thu 10 Feb 2022, 20:49)

Someone mentioned that the Mac operating system could be installed on Intel chipset PCs, and I think that they are called, delightfully, “Mackensteins”. I’ve cobbled together a working Intel chip laptop and along with Windross and one or two flavours of Linux to “multi boot” am seriously entertaining the idea of gracing the abode with such a Mackenstein.

Just wondering if anyone has done this computational lunacy? I haven’t done any googling as to how, particularly where to safely find an installation media not crawling with nasty back doors etc. MacBooks don’t seem to come with any CDs like old laptops did. Or used to.

I have looked at Apple own recon but it is much more expensive than the others. But the big screen M1 chipset MacBooks, being just about a year old now on the market, are rare and I’ve missed a couple.

Jeremy Baldock
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 21:34

Have you looked on

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/mac

Ian Phillips
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 19:56

Luke Miani on YouTube is a commentator worth checking. Though U.S. based, his analyses helped me choose a MacBook in 2019 when my 2009 iMac became unusable with. certain key apps. I bought from Hoxton Macs after looking at lots of alternatives. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 19:39 (last edited on Thu 3 Feb 2022, 19:40)

I'm listening with interest! Keep it up, lots of good info.

After a big-screened 16" MacBook - don't want to mess about with external monitors and for mobile use (rare as retired and not travelling much) an iPad will do me.

After 25+ years of Linux use been converted to Apple "ecosystem" by borrowing the daughter's gear, despite misgivings. In particular making heavy use of "apps" for online journals subscriptions (read a lot online) and the M1 MacBooks support apps, and as I want a replacement laptop (after 3 - very old - ones died on me within days of each other), and not just a iPad/tablet, a M1 Mac is the obvious way to go. Once decided to break from the Linux Light side to the slightly less-dark side of the Apple's OS (after a very bruising few weeks booting up Windross on an old PC, dreadful). Hence the search for a M1, one. But as have found out, M1 laptops recon/second hand aren't that common yet.

The SSD replacement from Witney iRepair - do you know if it was a "plug-in" SSD replaced, or were they able to de-solder/re-solder a new nailed-on-motherboard SSD on the repaired laptop? I think everything after 2015? is soldered on...

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 17:55 (last edited on Thu 3 Feb 2022, 17:56)

I enjoy reading the MacRumors "Buyer's guide" to see when new Apple stuff might come out and they advise what not to buy in case it is superseded in the next few weeks or months. It looks like a new MacBook Air will be released in the not too distant future which might mean used/2nd hand M1 MacBook Airs could come onto the market when that happens? No good if you need something right now but handy to know...

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air

Ian Phillips
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 13:29

I second Emily’s recommendation of Hoxton Macs if you are looking to buy refurbished (Mac user since 1986!). 

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 07:51

I have a MacMini for a few years, I had a new SSD drive installed recently by the computer repair people in Witney iRepair who were brilliant  

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 3 Feb 2022, 07:30

I don't recommend the 2018 series Mac Mini with the M1 chip much - it is renowned for Bluetooth/Wi-Fi clashes, which have indeed driven me nuts. I've had to go back to a wired keyboard. (But we also have a 2010 iMac and 2013 MacBook Pro still happily running in the household...) The new iPad Pro also has the M1, and I suspect Apple is starting to merge the two worlds of MBP and iPad.

Charlie M
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 18:23

For many years there have been means of installing Macintosh System Software on ordinary PC's. Reluctantly I switched from Macintosh to Windoze (and to a lesser degree, Linux) several years ago, the main reason being the way that they "obsoleted" software - and hardware - just to increase their obscene profits. I think Steve Jobs would be turning in his grave to see Apple today. 

The Mac OS was a beautifully engineered system; I used it for nearly 30 years and I still have a Mac OS9 environment on one of my machines for a piece of (genealogy) software dating from the early 1990's which has never been bettered.

But installing Mac OS X on a PC is (allegedly) illegal, and I have never tried it. But I am sorely tempted...! I still occasionally use a MacBook running "Mountain Lion" ... and it is still light years ahead of anything that Windoze can offer.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 17:47 (last edited on Wed 2 Feb 2022, 17:49)

M1 chipset definitely! Should have made that clear at the outset. And being recent there don’t seem to be so many recons/second hand around yet.

And Emily is correct in that nowadays MacBook components are all nailed to the board…

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 16:18

I would agree with you on that Richard! I have a newish Intel core i9 and can confirm that the centre of the keyboard is hotter than the sun when on MS Teams calls!

Emily Algar
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 13:38

I would say that Macbooks from 2015 onwards (I think) are glued shut, which means you can't upgrade the RAM or replace the SSD for one that is bigger. In the past I've upgraded the RAM, which is cheap and pretty easy and swapped my hard drive for an SSD one. Sadly Apple have stopped you from being able to do that. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 13:25

I’d strongly suggest looking for one of the newer M1 (‘Apple Silicon’)-based ones rather than the older Intel machines. Inevitably more expensive but much more future-proofed, and the fans are less likely to go into orbit just because you opened Microsoft Teams or Google Meet.

Kim Sale
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 13:05

I guess it all depends on budget. I looked around for quite a while before I bought my MacBook air in 2014 and in the end I purchased new through John Lewis as they give you an extra years guarantee. It's worth having Apple care which allows you to call Apple and solve any problems that occur. My daughter has just had to send hers back for repair and all costs are covered.

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 12:28

I strongly recommend Tier1online. They are an approved reseller and I've bought a couple of laptops and PC's from there (all refurbished). Customer service is really excellent too:

https://www.tier1online.com/macbooks/?sort=bestselling

They have lots of refurbished macbooks of a variety of specs too.

Emily Algar
👍 1

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 09:18

Hoxton Macs are very good and provide support after you buy one. You could also try the refurbished Apple store online.

Heather Williams
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 06:37

I will ask my son he got one from ebay, for a friend about 6 months ago and they are very pleased with it.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2022, 00:17

I've been looking around for places to purchase a reconditioned or second user Apple MacBook laptop: eBuyer, eBay, Music Magpie, Apple themselves (really expensive!). There seem to be dozens.

Who's "good"? Anyone had any good experiences with any vendors they could point me towards?

It's getting a mite confusing.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.