The Pearl at Leafield

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Fri 6 Oct 2023, 09:32

An application has recently been submitted for converting the Pearl to residential use.

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 17:47

James, I don't know if it's going to close.  I suppose it depends on who buys it.  Also, as you know, it is a large building with a large car park so I wouldn't be surprised if a property developer bought it with a view to building houses/apartments on the land.  But it's early days.

The owner and his wife bought it years ago, and then got stuck there because of their children's schooling.  They hail from Chinatown and that's where they're heading back to.  He told me that he's also recently had some staff problems - particularly in the kitchen, where he's "lost" a couple of chefs.  (Careless, I know.) Must be hard to find Chinese chefs in the Cotswolds, or chefs who can cook decent Chinese food!

James Styring
👍 1

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 16:42

We had an excellent takeaway from the Pearl the other day. Is the business going to close? 

Miles Walkden
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 18:58

Beijing Gourmet in Chippy is good. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 11:25

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Plenty of choices!

Yes Christine I've been to "Sue Shop" (oriental foods) in Witney.  It is very good.

In case I inadvertently mislead, I went to "The Pearl" yesterday and had a good chat with the proprietor, who reckons the sale won't take place until the Autumn.  I don't think it's on the market yet!  Table service has stopped though.  So probably best to telephone first!

Julia Webb
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 11:22

The Wok is currently closed for renovation according to the voicemail message. We tried to order Friday. 

Alex Gerrard
👍 2

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 11:05 (last edited on Sun 23 Jan 2022, 11:06)

The Wok Inn Woodstock is excellent for takeaway.

Damian Gannon
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 09:37

‘Asia’ in Witney (OX28 6BT) is quite good. Since relocating from Manchester and where the Chinese food choices are simply incredible. This takeaway is the best we have tried locally so far.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Sat 22 Jan 2022, 18:34

Hannen, if you scroll back to 25/26 November you will see a longish discussion of nearby Chinese takeaways.

I haven't eaten in the Chippy Chinese restaurants recently, and was not amazingly impressed in the past. However, Thai Shire has Chinese dishes. Not sure about takeaways, and also no obvious website. Some (outdated?) menus here: https://restaurantguru.com/Thai-Shire-Chipping-Norton/menu

In Witney I have always used Golden Palace if it's a takeaway that you are after.

There's also The Carpenter's Arms if you like Cambodian, but it seems to have gone back to takeaway only for the time being. Its owner runs the Chinese store in Witney, and the food is rather similar.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2022, 14:33

As far as I am aware this is our nearest "Chinese".

The owner tells me that he is selling up.  Are there any decent alternatives?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.