Bagpipes needed—any to loan?

Charlie M
👍 1

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 23:33

Me too! In fact I have yet to hear a type of bagpipe that I do not enjoy. I consider that we are very lucky in these islands to have so many different kinds of bagpipes, from the delicate Northumbrian smallpipes through the English bagpipes to the Highland pipes familiar to most. Breton pipes are wonderful too, and somewhhere in my CD collection I have music played on Czech bagpipes!

Angus B
👍 1

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 22:32

Hear hear, Rhona; I find the skirl of the pipes a very uplifting sound in the right place.

Rhona Walker
👍 11

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 12:24

I love the sound of the bagpipes.  There are a lot of pipers in my family and they are an important part of my highland culture.  They need to be played in the right place so may be a bit overwhelming within the confines of a Charlbury living room, but listening to the pipes being played on the empty shores of The Minch or a highland mountain top, is a haunting, emotional and beautiful experience.  We clearly need a bagpipes appreciation society in town.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 09:22 (last edited on Sun 13 Feb 2022, 11:38)

Can we conclude that bagpipes are not only a risk to the piper’s health but also for all who have to endure them? Just about the only good thing to come out of COVID.

Personally if I hear bagpipes I naturally want the go in the opposite direction!

If you must play them, maybe buy your own ratter than borrowing them under the current circumstances? The same likely goes for all wind instruments. Although some are probably easier to hygienically maintain than bagpipes. I don’t know

Jim Willard
👍 1

Sat 12 Feb 2022, 02:18

Just tell the neighbours you've a cat in heat and they won't think much of the noise. 

Steve Jones
👍 4

Sat 15 Jan 2022, 23:22 (last edited on Sat 15 Jan 2022, 23:23)

I think as bagpipes appear to be a biological health hazard then my favoured policy of incinerating them is clearly the right approach. It should be said when I ventured this opinion in he pub tonight it was no well received. I still maintain the view that the bagpipe is no so much a musical instrument as a weapon of war fulfilling the same role as the siren on a Stuka dive bomber.

However, it seems I'm in a minority on this issue as was proven by the otherwise unaccountable success of Mull of Kintyre, the first single to sell 2 million copies in the UK...

Alan F Harrison
👍 3

Sat 15 Jan 2022, 13:31 (last edited on Sat 15 Jan 2022, 17:12)

The bagpipe is inappropriately blown by others who are not its owner.

A piper died years ago from a bacterium within the moisture which inevitably accumulates in the bag.  From that it is reasonable to conclude that covid-related organisms can survive in the bag.

Your request sounds as if a Burn's event is imminent.

As a piper I may be able to assist others who are about to engage in such an event. About two weeks either side of 25 January was the norm but whenever.

In addition to piping the haggis in, I can relate all toasts and replies except the Reply from the Lassies [!].

Alan Harrison  né Kirk   more

michele marietta
👍 3

Thu 13 Jan 2022, 17:32

AND the banjo.

Pipes located! I am excited.

I am not sure about the neighbours.

Charlie M
👍 1

Thu 13 Jan 2022, 09:58

Valerie ... that also has been applied to an accordian ;-) 

Valerie Stewart
👍 8

Thu 13 Jan 2022, 00:23

One definition of a gentleman (can't remember where I read it, could be PG Wodehouse):

'Someone who can play the bagpipes .. and doesn't.'

michele marietta
👍

Wed 12 Jan 2022, 20:39

Does anyone out there have a set of bagpipes I could borrow??

Michele

07817 890 787

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.