Unwanted (dead) table mats

glena chadwick
👍 2

Tue 4 Jan 2022, 11:10

Thank you all so much, especially Christine for advice and ideas. Turns out that one of my family has a sentimental attachment to them so a few will be saved anyway ! Use on my rather ancient garden table sounds possible.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 3 Jan 2022, 01:50

AFAIK stuff goes to the incinerator to generate electricity and dioxins... Thanks for the recycle this link, didn't know about that.

Christine Battersby
👍 5

Sun 2 Jan 2022, 19:15 (last edited on Sun 2 Jan 2022, 19:15)

You also can't recycle hard plastic.

If the mats have sentimental value, you could always try framing them or simply replacing the felt on the back. Or turn a couple into trays (add frame and also handles to the frame), or turn them into mouse mats or drawer liners. Or remove felt & stick 2 together and use as a garden kneeler, pet food stand or something else in the garden. 

There's other ideas here: https://www.recyclethis.co.uk/20081010/how-can-i-reuse-or-recycle-placemats-and-coasters

Burford Needlecraft shop was great for crafting things, but now sadly only online. A trip to Hobbycraft off the Botley Rd, Oxford might give you ideas and also what you need.

I say this, but know I would not do any of these things! 

glena chadwick
👍

Sun 2 Jan 2022, 18:02

I rather feared that Amanda---bother. Hoped someone might have a brilliant innovative idea. Otherwise I'm afraid it's landfill.

Amanda Epps
👍 1

Sun 2 Jan 2022, 13:16

Glena, you can’t recycle items made with more than one material.

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 1 Jan 2022, 19:27

Recycle them 

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 1 Jan 2022, 15:31

I have some once rather elegant mats (wedding presents I think). They are presumably firm hard plastic (brass rubbings on some, views on others---we are talking 60s !) backed with felt. At Christmas my family noticed the felt was disintegrating and persuaded me to buy some new ones. What can I do with the old ones ? Will they recycle ?? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.