Film Location?

Pat Court
👍

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 18:24

My shoulder is featured in the Three Horseshoes!!  I was also a policewoman coming out of Bailey's but think that might have been cut!!

john h
👍

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 14:19

After a long search ,I found a copy of the Daziel &Pascoe  episode featuring Charlbury for a couple of quid on Ebay. Interesting to see the changes in the 'ol town , and spotting the extras. Will look harder for your family Phil. I think its name for TV purposes was Hampton Lacy? will check again. John H

Phil Morgan
👍

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 12:39

Yes Nick, I recall that my wife and two small daughters were employed as 'extras' on the first shoot.They stayed all morning walking to and fro across the Playing Close. She got £50 and the girls got £10 each. They also got free food from the caterers.

They were well chuffed! 

Nick Johnson
👍 2

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 11:46

An episode of  Daziel & Pascoe was filmed on the Playing Close in the 90s in two parts, two weeks apart. It featured a kidnapping using the old School buildings. Between the two periods of shooting, Community Service came in and painted the Playing Close railings a different colour. I was there when the Comtinuity Manager arrived to prepare for the second shoot. He was not pleased.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 11:37

Was the Midsomer Murders episode Ring out your Dead? Or A Worm in the Bud? 

I think it was from 2002, as that is the date of the recorded videos in Ditchley Park library. And there are very few episodes broadcast that year. The two alternatives are Murder on St Malley's Day or Market for Murder

Of course they could have recorded a repeat. 

I remember the house filmed as being towards the top of Ditchley Rd, on the right hand side. But Charlbury does not feature in the list of Midsomer locations, and also does not appear in the images of "secret locations".

Perhaps somebody with access to Britbox could watch the 2002 episodes over Christmas, and let us know. Or look at the images via google lens and let us know what you think.

I remember the filming, but could not remember whether it was Morse or Midsomer Murders.

Tony Graeme
👍

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 08:37 (last edited on Sun 19 Dec 2021, 13:18)

Re reading the postings here I am reminded that the station was also used in a Dalziel and Pascoe episode (possibly the same one already mentioned). I remember the passengers on passing trains must have been somewhat confused at seeing the Charlbury name at one end of the (only) platform and a fictitious name which escapes me, at the other.

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 18 Dec 2021, 14:42

In the 1980s Dyers Hill was used for part of an episode of a series about France in the 2nd World War. The white lines on the road were covered with matting and the poor extras had to trek up and for most of the day---and it was very hot. 

Rachel Mary Gallagher
👍 1

Sat 18 Dec 2021, 11:34

A very brief bit of an episode of Downton Abbey was filmed in front of St Mary's church door.  I had the honour of washing up the two actors' coffee mugs...

Kate Smith
👍 2

Fri 17 Dec 2021, 18:23

And I'm sure Richard Holthouse included some Charlbury shots - up Ditchley Road and the churchyard anyway, in an episode of Midsomer Murders, though can't recall which one.

Tony Graeme
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2021, 08:25 (last edited on Sun 19 Dec 2021, 08:27)

I forget exactly when it was (but mid nineties) the Corner House became a ‘Police Station’, complete with blue lamp outside. This was for ‘Sleepers’ a spy drama with Nigel Havers. We spent an entertaining evening watching repeats of a van parked outside what is now Tim’s shop, being ‘blown up’. Good view from our upstairs window in Sheep St.

Judy kinchella
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 19:06

Young Victoria and Black Beauty were partly filmed at Ditchley.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 18:47

Church Street and the Bell once featured in an episode of Dalziel & Pascoe if my memory serves me correctly.

K Harper
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 17:42

And a recent edition of George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces had some great local shots in it!

Kris

Gareth Epps
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 17:06

Around 1980 the whole Primary School was taken down to the bottom of Sheep Street to watch filming for some ITV drama the name of which escapes me; let’s just say the name would make a good quiz question!

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 16:35

Cornbury Park house was also used in Bridget Jones Baby (part 111) for the afterparty of the christening scene both inside and outside 

Heather Donegan
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 16:19

Ruth Rendell circa 1991/92. Filmed at the old primary school and Playing Close. Local children and parents were employed as extras.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 13:07

If you search filming in the Mail box on this website, you will find quite a few. There was Alice through the Looking Glass at Ditchley (filmed 2014), and Kitbag (about Napoleon, battles to be filmed in Finstock -- Cornbury ??-- early in 2022). 

Downton Abbey in St Mary's Churchyard, also 2014.

Also "This Weekend will change your Life" (2018) -- includes Charlbury station, and other local places.

Ditchley House for Downton Abbey -- NB some more filming also coming up at Cogges Manor which is turned into Yew Tree Farm for the ITV series.

A couple of Father Brown episodes at Cornbury.

Brigid Jones Diary, Part III: St Mary's Church, Swinbrook. 

Clockwork Orange: Shipton under Wychwood.

Much filming at Heythrop where there is a collection of exotic animals in their zoological gardens specially kept for filming. 

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:56

Lots at Blenheim, obviously. Charlbury (eg the churchyard and North Lodge bridge) and the area have featured occasionally in Father Brown. Not sure if that's quite 'film location' status though!

Alan Cobb
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:52

Dyers Hill featured in an episode of Coronation St back in the late 80s.

john h
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:49

Charlbury featured in an episode of Daziel & Pascoe in the late 90's. Called Rulling  Passion. And Cornbury in many episodes of Father Brown. John H

Paul D Jackson
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:09

The national office of "Walkers are Welcome" are seeking to develop walks taking in film locations.  Does anyone know of any around Charlbury?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.