Milk & More

Alan Cobb
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 16:20

They completely messed up again, having delivered to the right address for a fortnight, they left my milk at the wrong house again, in spite of the notice directing them to the right house.  Seems they are illiterate as well as dilatory.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:47

Thanks everyone, ours just turned up at 10:40. Hopefully a one-off.

Simon Walker
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:32

Delivered in Hixet Wood at 10.25am.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 09:13

Saw van outside the Youth Hostel at 8am

Ian Lewis
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 09:03

Ours finally arrived at 0830

Tim Crisp
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 08:56

Yes, none for us too.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 07:34

No M&M delivery at our house in Park St this morning. Have others been missed on our separate round?

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 13:27 (last edited on Tue 11 Jan 2022, 13:29)

Milk and More have changed how they do deliveries. There's one regular driver/deliverer for each area, plus relief drivers who are specifically employed to cover different areas on different nights. In addition Centre Operatives also go out in pairs to cover when there are no relief drivers available, and they also have no set route. One drives the vehicle whilst the other acts as the runner/deliverer, following radio and IT instructions.

Since Steve retired, I think Fridays in Charlbury has often involved relief drivers or a pair of Centre Operatives. The description of the noisy & chaotic delivery last Friday sounded very much like the pair of Centre Operatives -- so probably not  "the fastest milkman in West Oxfordshire". Omicron has probably meant that many of the drivers and relief drivers are off sick.

M&M pay more than the minimum wage, plus pension, annual leave, life insurance etc, and are moving to a 5 night rota, as opposed to 6 nights. But it is nevertheless still a pressurised job. As a customer, I have also found the only way to be sure of a response from them is to use Facebook. 

Phil Morgan
👍 3

Tue 11 Jan 2022, 12:52

Just a plea for the drivers. They must be under huge time pressure and probably on unfamiliar territory. In order to meet unreasonable targets, they have to screech to the kerb, sprint to the doorstep in total darkness and then screech away again. And all that for a minimum wage.

Milk & More is a nation-wide company. If you are an account holder, you can express your views on their website. Sadly, the days of the local dairy are over.

Simon J Harley
👍 2

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 18:55

I’m not sure Trigger had the horse power of the Milk and More milk float. The noise the driver made though could have been the clatter of horses hooves?

Andy Godfrey
👍 3

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 13:20

Yes, West Oxfordshire.

stephen cavell
👍 2

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 07:05

The fastest milkman in the west?

Andy Godfrey
👍 3

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 05:32

Ernie?
Simon J Harley
👍

Fri 7 Jan 2022, 09:17

Adrian, the only place I could find was via Facebook Messenger.  Every other form of contact (except phoning) seems to be reserved for account holders.

Adrian Hunter
👍 1

Fri 7 Jan 2022, 08:56 (last edited on Fri 7 Jan 2022, 08:59)

Yes, Simon, we were woken at quarter to four and heard him skidding to a halt, and then driving off at pretty reckless pace, narrowly missing cars in the street. Shortly afterwards heard him race down Woodfield Drive. Where did you send your message to?

Simon J Harley
👍 1

Fri 7 Jan 2022, 07:04

Anyone else woken up by Milk and More this morning?  While delivering in Rochester Place, excessive reving of the engine, skidding to a stop, wheel spinning away and generally being noisy while delivering. All at 3.46am.  I have sent a message to them complaining.  What ever happened to the Milkman who always tiptoed to your door when delivering?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 21:37

Now if the Deli could do organic unHOMOGINISED goat’s milk I’d be a happy possessor of the LCT gene indeed. One of the high points of moving to a village in West Sussex from North America  was having your milk delivered at the crack of dawn, and the rush to get the cream off the top for your shredded wheat before the Robin or your younger sib. Until then I didn’t even know that cream was a separate constituent of milk as the mass catered supermarket was already totally victorious in retail over there by the late 50s.

But must be from a Caprinae. Been so long since I tasted cow’s milk in anything but a fermented form can hardly remember the taste and don’t really like coffee or tea with it when I have.

Again, but, given how much damage cattle- well, livestock generally- do to environment and climate I’m bracing myself for the commercial advent of reproduction “milk” made from gene spliced bacteria or fungi. Foresworn meats on environmental grounds but milk products are my just too far from the grasp of my willpower to let go of quite yet despite the disapproval of the nigh-on vegan offspring :-( I know there really isn’t an excuse but I did foreswear flying and haven’t been back to Canada since my father was really seriously I’ll in ‘91. Maybe that’s a bit of atonement.

When one thinks about it “milk” is the easiest animal product to mimic as its basically an emulsion of lipids, proteins and sugars with a bit extra chucked in. When put through the processes of fermentation with microorganisms for cheese and yoghurt etc no reason why with a bit of care and good practice shouldn’t be impossible to get a reasonable product out. Meat has all the physical structures to mimic. 

Katrina Hadirampela
👍 1

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 14:47

@kay crutch Your milk was delivered here by mistake. Can you message to arrange collection. 🙂

Jackie Hague
👍

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 14:14

There's a post on the 'Charlbury is a Town & not a Village' Facebook page with a photo of a someone's order delivered to the wrong address. 

Kay Crutch
👍

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 12:57

At least you got you order! My usual order and a few extra Christmas bits seem to have disappeared in to thin air. 

Alan Cobb
👍 1

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 11:53

I despair of Milk & More. After a fortnight of delivering to the right houses, they revert to dumping the milk on the wrong doorstep in spite of a notice directing them to the right place!

J Marsh
👍 1

Sun 12 Dec 2021, 12:49

My apologies to the Deli for that omission.

John M

Lynne Stubbles
👍 1

Sat 11 Dec 2021, 17:50

Charlbury deli sells milk from North Cotswold dairy. Its in 1litre glass bottles.

It's pasteurised but not homogenised so you get that top of the milk cream ! 

£1.50 for the litre

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Sat 11 Dec 2021, 16:35

And the Deli!

J Marsh
👍 2

Sat 11 Dec 2021, 16:27 (last edited on Sat 11 Dec 2021, 16:27)

Support your local shops. The Co-op & Five Ways both sell Dairy produce including milk.

Sandy Fairhurst
👍

Fri 10 Dec 2021, 13:13

Nine Acres Close is still being mistaken for Nine Acres Lane. No milk again, (until I walked round to same number Nine Acres Lane to collect)

A phone conversation this morning with M&M left me feeling more optimistic than my repetitive email messaging of late. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 10 Dec 2021, 09:44 (last edited on Fri 10 Dec 2021, 10:15)

But doing the round in reverse today. Still waiting in Ditchley Rd. 

PS now arrived -- before 10, so that is better than a couple of weeks ago when it was before 1 p.m.

I can see they are still advertising for a relief delivery driver and a centre operative in Oxford, and also a full-time delivery driver. NB the ad for the full-time driver states: "We are trialling different patterns of work, including a five day working pattern." 

Alan Cobb
👍 1

Fri 10 Dec 2021, 09:32

Yes indeed, they even delivered to the right houses on Dyers Hill.

Ann Roberts
👍 1

Fri 10 Dec 2021, 09:01

Milk in time for breakfast today - things are looking up!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.